When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Way To Pack And Ship A Mercury Pacemaker

-

TJW

Finally riding a big boys bike
Suggestions on the best way to pack and ship this bike would be appreciated. I am getting ready to sell it and I'm concerned about how to safely ship it.

I don't feel qualified to pack it myself so I will need to get it packed, too. Of course, the best option would to have it picked up, but I live in Houston, TX which is somewhat out of the way.

P1010074.JPG

i have had great luck using one big box and only taking handlebars , pedals and sometimes the seat off . I use bike flights and they go threw fedex . They don't charge you for over size boxes . i even take two regular bike boxes to make one one big one and still no extra fee for over size . I just like havering the bike mostly complete when I ship .less chance off damage from lose parts and easier to pack for sure . Just works for me .

Its not exactly rocket science to ship a bike. I would think if you can ride a bike you could pack and ship one. Most people just don't want to. Take the bike all apart. Bubblewrap all the parts. Put pipe insulation on tubing of frame. Use a bicycle box to puut everything in but the wheels. Line the box with extra layers of cardboard. Fill all extra space with crushed up newspaper. Take axles out fo wheels put wheels in another box line with extra cardboard. Put all small parts in bags and small boxes and mark. Bike Flights (FedEx) will pick them up at your house. Oh dont forget to put the address on both boxes. Will probably take 3-4 hours. You just got to wanna do it.

For sure pipe insulation works great . Never had a problem since I've used that and plenty of packing material . I go to thrift shop and get old sheets etc cheap . . Protect that paintbike shops do a nice job too but charge .

Here's my experience:
Removal of the rear fender is pretty important. These boxes get stood and dropped on end, sometimes from pretty decent heights. I've had and seen rear fenders smashed flat because they were left on the bike.
Everything should be very well wrapped and/or boxed and secured inside the boxes so nothing can move around.
Foam blocks and packaging peanuts work well, but the box should be full with no voids: trouble starts when stuff moves.
Crushed newspaper is often used but it tends to yield quickly to the weight of the bike/parts, making it not very useful as padding/cushioning.

Another option is Amtrak shipping, far less handling of the package in transit, and much less disassembly required.

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/i-shipped-a-bike-with-amtrak.85776/

Back