When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best ways to deal with rust spots on a white frame?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Damn, that's just too much to touch up. Really, get some Kiwi in the bottle and after cleaning out all the chips see it it will stay after a couple applications. I'm sure you've seen where someone has written all over their car windows with shoe polish.

Something I've used with great success, is Evapo-Rust. Soak your whatever in it...won't hurt the paint at all (in fact it tends to "brighten" the paint). Non-toxic, bio-friendly, reusable, and makes rust disappear. Hardest part, is having to build some kind of tub to soak a frame in. (Not that hard, really.) I would think, decals wouldn't like it.

I cleaned some surface rust/dirt off of a '40 Elgin fender and skirt guard with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Not perfect but much better. No pictures but a significant improvement. A few years ago I removed some surface rust from some patio chairs with some Whink. I bought it to remove some rust from the carpet in my old Blazer. Worked well for both.

1598389797355.png
L

I think I would just leave well enough alone. Too much to touch up.Once you start touching up the next step you will want to do is spray paint it.My white Vette is about the same condition. Just my opinion

Re touch up:

White is one of the most difficult colors to fully match and touch-up. A normal human eye is quite good at discerning subtle variations in the white: flat/gloss, faded/bright, minty tints, cream/off-white tones, etc. It's certainly possible to get a good match, but you're going to be working hard to manually mix your paints until you get a true match. If you're lucky, an auto paint shop or paint store can match using a computer, but even those can only get so close. And any paint you mix may match one part of the bike, but not another because of irregular fading over the years.

This is not to discourage you, but it is to say that you need to be ready to make good touch-up on an old, white bike a project of sorts. With a large area of old, white paint like that, it's going to be hard (or very lucky) to pull a bottle of flat or semi-gloss (or whatever) white off the shelf and have a spot-on match.

Back