When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better be sitting down for this one....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is why I carry my Antique Bicycle business cards with me. I have heard a boatload of B.S. at flea markets and antique stores and bike shops. When the B.S. gets too deep for me to handle, I hand the seller my business card. Usually they are selling a Schwinn or typical 50's bike that us here on the CABE are very familiar with. You listen to their pitch of B.S. then give them your card and see what happens. They watch that American Pickers too much.

Wow, I wonder what kind of drugs the person was on, who offered 10k for that. I also wonder what kind of drugs the person was on, who turned it down.
I would sell all my bikes for 10k each, then go buy nicer examples and have money left over.

It's a game they play. A way to build artificial intrigue and interest.

Exactly. No one offered $10K for that bike, total hot air...

I was driving with family in Newport News Virginia and spotted a road side yard sale and I spotted a high wheel bike in it. I turned around to find out exactly what it was, and as soon as I got up to it, the seller stated telling me that it was super rare, worth huge $ and he had been offered $xxx, yada yada . Once I focussed on it, I saw that it was one of the nor-cal Rideable Replicas, and in poor condition too....

But folks, all bike shops are not blowhards! Some of us are actually knowledgeable in some areas of this collectable world! Or seek help from this group! :)

A friend of mine was in a small NJ shore town bike shop and this cobbled together Panther? or whatever it is
was in the window... For giggles my friend asked how much. Owner said, "Not for sale! and a guy came in
offering 10,000 for it, we turned it down, it's a vintage display piece!"

Where are these buyers when I want to sell a real bike?

Also had a couple of Krate bikes... wrong seats or something... Said he turned down 5500 for one of them.

Really?

You take the 10 grand for the crappy "panther" and you buy 2 or 3 Killer original bikes for display
and then take a vacation to Europe or ?

View attachment 837868

Someone needs to call this shop and offer 15K.....and tell him you're on your way with cash to pick it up...
hoping the guy starts spending $ before you never show up.
Some people have a disease"it's called crazy-itist"

This is why I carry my Antique Bicycle business cards with me. I have heard a boatload of B.S. at flea markets and antique stores and bike shops. When the B.S. gets too deep for me to handle, I hand the seller my business card. Usually they are selling a Schwinn or typical 50's bike that us here on the CABE are very familiar with. You listen to their pitch of B.S. then give them your card and see what happens. They watch that American Pickers too much.
I agree,tv show's not mentioning the show's have to me ruined a great hobby for people on a reasonable budget build.

Bob I know this guy and it's location not far from me at all. He is second generation owner of the bicycle shop. I believe his son has it or getting into it. Yes I agree the panther is all butched up. I guess he thinks he has gold even the krates but to each his own. I guess he has had them for years and wants to capitalize on them. I've seen everything he has@ we have talked but, his prices are out there!! He is a good guy but it is what it is!

Similar story. A woman calls me and says she has an old Excelsior so immediately I'm interested. She emails me a picture of a prewar women's Schwinn that is so rusty and roached I'm not even sure if I gave her $25 for it I would be able to recoup my money. When I suggest it's in pretty bad condition she tees off on me and says I'm just like the pickers. She goes on to tell me an antique store offered her something like $150. I carefully suggest she should probably take the money and she's still pissed even though I never gave her a price. She threatens me that her and her friends will be selling other "antiques" and they will cut me out of the deal. I should have told her to FO but instead I try to explain how things really are. She eventually realizes I'm being honest and not trying to screw her but it always comes down to doing your homework first. Once again, too much watching TV and no research.

Back