When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better quality tires

-

68avenger5

Look Ma, No Hands!
My main ride is a mid 70s 10 speed I had since new and lately I have been getting Kenda tires from a local bike shop but have been only getting about 800 miles on the rear tire,is this normal as I do not remember replacing the tire that much years ago so is there a good quality tire out there or will I have to just replace it every spring.

My main ride is a mid 70s 10 speed I had since new and lately I have been getting Kenda tires from a local bike shop but have been only getting about 800 miles on the rear tire,is this normal as I do not remember replacing the tire that much years ago so is there a good quality tire out there or will I have to just replace it every spring.

This is why I made the conversion to 700C on my (then 35-y-o Raleigh GP), because of all the great tire options available.
You only need 4mm extra brake reach.
XBXKOkI.jpg

But agree that Paselas are the best 27-inch tires available.
Schwalbe makes bulletproof 27-inch Marathons, but they also ride like it (as do the Contis and Zaffiros).
The fold-up Paselas were my favorite 27-inch.
Here are the wire-bead Paselas at a good price
Looks like they haven't made a run of the 27" folding tires recently (Pasela TG).
Here are all the other 27" choices currently out there.

For tire tread life, using the Berto chart for tire pressure will by far get you the most.
bertopresschart.jpg

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/tire-pressure-take-home/
My first 27mm Vittoria Open Paves on my Moser got 600 mi on the rear arbitrarily running 105 psi.
Now running 90 psi in the rear, 80 in the front, and get over 2000 mi on these very fast and very comfortable tires.
kekbYao.jpg

Last edited:
I just put another Kenda on it to get me by until winter sets in and then I will look into better tires.

Back