When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better than I Found It

-
Bo
I've got some WF grips, not sure the age, but I just pulled them off my 36 Elgin (my first old bike project) that I'll send for postage if you want them. Better than them rotting in the shed.
I’m so sorry for missing your message. I’ve not been on for a bit. Your offer is both kind and generous. I snagged some on eBay recently so I’m not in need any longer. Again thanks so very much for the generosity.

This
You may want to take a closer look at the seat/seat post set up. Ain't no kush goin' on there 😬 Other than that............you have a great project there !
So true on the kushin haha. I have the original padding that’s still in very nice shape surprisingly. I need to take the time to recover it and make it usable. That thing would be murder right now

Anyone have experience with a cracked Torrington stem? I was making a bar adjustment and was careful to not over tighten, so how in the world did this happen. The bars were a bit loose and only tightened in minute increments at a time, but this still failed. It’s a very old part with some obvious design flaws, so I can understand to a point. I just want to be certain this doesn’t happen again once I find a suitable drop stem replacement. Boy it sucks to damage an original part. Also, should I opt for a wedge stem instead of this spreader style lock?

14109EBA-5C17-4EA8-9B32-7AEA2E3463B3.jpeg

I would go with the original type. They are available and i might even have one. I will revert back..

Anyone have experience with a cracked Torrington stem? I was making a bar adjustment and was careful to not over tighten, so how in the world did this happen. The bars were a bit loose and only tightened in minute increments at a time, but this still failed. It’s a very old part with some obvious design flaws, so I can understand to a point. I just want to be certain this doesn’t happen again once I find a suitable drop stem replacement. Boy it sucks to damage an original part. Also, should I opt for a wedge stem instead of this spreader style lock?

View attachment 1692658
I had this happen to one recently. When I pulled the stem out of the fork for the first time, both bottom pieces just fell off. So what I did was take my cut off wheel and just cut new slits and put a shorter bolt in it. I dont run my stems super high so it works....

I had this happen to one recently. When I pulled the stem out of the fork for the first time, both bottom pieces just fell off. So what I did was take my cut off wheel and just cut new slits and put a shorter bolt in it. I dont run my stems super high so it works....
I considered this when I first saw the damage to mine, but didn’t want to waste my time with a futile attempt at salvaging the stem. Did this work out well in your case? I’d be losing a good bit of height but I don’t think it would be an issue in my case either.

I considered this when I first saw the damage to mine, but didn’t want to waste my time with a futile attempt at salvaging the stem. Did this work out well in your case? I’d be losing a good bit of height but I don’t think it would be an issue in my case either.
It actually worked out great in my case.
I prefer my stems and seats low so being down a tad lower didnt really bother me too much. Holds perfectly with zero issues.

Here is the bike I did it on. The stem being all the way down isnt really affecting the look at all.

FSFA.jpg

It actually worked out great in my case.
I prefer my stems and seats low so being down a tad lower didnt really bother me too much. Holds perfectly with zero issues.

Here is the bike I did it on. The stem being all the way down isnt really affecting the look at all.

View attachment 1692705
Nice work. Always a great feeling to make something near useless work for your needs

Back