When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold Beyond Rare! TOC Wood Handle Bars $975 shipped

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
sold
Zipcode

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Very rare "proprietary form" wood handle bars with integrated grips. The bars and grips are constructed from a single piece of wood in union; the grip sections are not separate pieces that are attached. Included is a late 19th century cast iron display base. This can be adjusted to exhibit the bars in different positions. I haven’t been able to find US patent information on the bars but it must exist. Overall both pieces are in very good condition, the metal bar ferrules show some oxidation but traces of nickel are present. The bars clearly were mounted on a bicycle at some point as markings from the stem are visible. The width is just a hair under 17 1/2 inches. If anyone is aware of other examples or period literature showing a possible maker please let me know. $975 shipped including the display base. Reduced bump, $875 shipped or I keep them. Please PM to purchase. Kind thanks, Brant

16A0063C-4F13-48D2-8058-CF41C3FC5F1B.jpeg

9FD95230-762C-4877-89F9-1F2AC0319F55.jpeg

940E010C-1295-4CB7-A5F0-B38A3C74211D.jpeg

014AA23B-8325-4B98-94F7-74A4C3F9D375.jpeg
DCB40B8E-53A4-4171-BE59-A34D670092BB.jpeg

Last edited:
Are the bars hollow and are they laminated or do they appear to be made of single bent piece of wood?

Beautiful Bars! Here's a patent for a similar style grip...but with a twist! George Hendee and Ed Nelson were among three assignees for these metal grips. They look like they were designed to relax the hand. Back in the day, people were not familiar with riding safeties (evidence of the many popular bike riding academies nationwide). Additionally the roads were not paved, instead they were dirt packed or muddy - divots by horse hooves and carriage grooves. I'm assuming the novice rider choked their handlebars tightly just to stay on their two wheel steed.

Last edited:
how did you get them thru the gooseneck ? if they were here with me i have a buddy who could xray them to see if the ends come off ! just saying

Back