When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bianchi Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It's done. I've ridden it for about 50 miles. It's very very different from my Bianchi. This is the Dutch made Raleigh Grand Prix. The best I can do with the serial number is that it's a 1974 to 1976 version. The Bianchi is a 1998 model.

The Raleigh feels huge. Ok - it is. It feels like you're driving an old Bentley or something similar. I need to weigh it soon. It's a lot heavier than my Bianchi. At least it feels that way.

Total Bike Done.jpg

Richard Newton
Bike Restoration Blog

I weighed the two bikes. The Raleigh is heavy.

Bianchi - 24.2 lbs.
Raleigh - 31.0 lbs.

Last edited:
Continental tires ...

We ended up using WD-40 on the tire and rim. I never like doing that but I've done it on hundreds of car tires. Sometimes you just do what you have to do. Actually there is a special tire lube you can use when mounting car tires. I didn't have any so I used my ever handy can of WD-40.

Richard Newton
Bianchi Restoration

Continental makes a great tire - but they always seem to run tight on rims - back when I was riding road & mountain bikes more I would use all brands of tires - I noticed that only the Continental tires were a bear to put on - but the look better than most & performance is second to none - Specialized tires on the other hand could be hand mounted & would almost fall off the rim as you added air & had to be centered as you were adding air to them so they wouldn't have a hop or pop a bead - Just don't get a flat with the Continentals - or if you do make sure you have some top quality tire levers to pull the tires off & fix or replace the tubes .. ride vintage - Frank

Last edited:
The Raleigh has Michelins. I don't like them as much as the Continentals. They just don't have the ride quality. They do look good though.

Richard Newton

It's time for a new build here. I'm finally getting around to my Vitus. My wheels arrived today.

Vitus Wheels 1.jpg

I've added a detailed list to my blog. I'm really open to suggestions here. My next step will be the brakes.

Richard Newton

I just violated my All-Camp rule. Ok I also did it on the wheels.

The Vitus I'm building originally used friction shifters. I'm doing a conversion.

41qgm+uMeKL._SX425_.jpg

These are $11.09 on Amazon.com

31oQQqJGZ8L.jpg

The Campy version is $60.00

The Campy version has the neat little springs but come on.

Richard Newton

They both have springs, it's just that they're not visible with the other set. I have them on my USAAF bike and they work great.

Back