When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicentennial America

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CavemanJoe

Look Ma, No Hands!
What we have here is a 1976 Fuji America (mid-70's style) touring bike produced in the spring of '76. I recently bought it from the original owner who bought it new in 1977. It turns out that we lived a few blocks from each other "back in the day", and knew some of the same people. I rode a Fuji "Special Road Racer" back then as a kid. The bike needed a bit of TLC, but is in decent shape now. I didn't get the original Fujita F-17 leather saddle with it. That's a Brooks B-17 from the mid-70's that I had. Glad to have come across it. It was on my wish list since I was a teen. Just the right size, too! If I can keep riding another 10+ years I will be one really happy cyclist!

20210802_194441.jpg

20210802_193955.jpg

20210802_193933.jpg

Why ride it for only 10 more years. It will last much longer, given your skills at refurb. Very nice job of making it shine.

I like the 70's (and 80's) bikes, too. They are old enough to be truly vintage, but new enough to have component standards and available parts. And I enjoy the getting them back into ridable shape. And then the rewards reap riding smiles.

You obviously want it original, but the best improvement for riding would be a lighter wheelset. Given brake pad adjustability, 700c rims look an easy swap. And lighter tires and tubes make the climbs easier. Take it from an old guy. (keep the 27" wheels so you can make it original again within minutes.) However, if you live in flat America - it really makes little difference.

-----

thanks very much for sharing this find and for the story that goes with it! 😃

was slightly surprised to see that it wears Mikashima pedals; see from the specifications cross table that they are OEM

Sugino, Maeda, DiaCompe, Sansin Matsumoto are all part of the same keiretsu (trade group) so it makes sense to see those names together

the group's pedal partner is Kyokuto (KKT)

beautiful job with it!

-----

Why ride it for only 10 more years. It will last much longer, given your skills at refurb. Very nice job of making it shine.

I like the 70's (and 80's) bikes, too. They are old enough to be truly vintage, but new enough to have component standards and available parts. And I enjoy the getting them back into ridable shape. And then the rewards reap riding smiles.

You obviously want it original, but the best improvement for riding would be a lighter wheelset. Given brake pad adjustability, 700c rims look an easy swap. And lighter tires and tubes make the climbs easier. Take it from an old guy. (keep the 27" wheels so you can make it original again within minutes.) However, if you live in flat America - it really makes little difference.
I wrote that because I hope I'm still breathing in 10 years. This bike should outlast me! Some very nice bikes were built in the '70s and '80s. This was one of them. Nothing more beautiful than a steel frame with nice lugs! The SunTour bar cons also make riding much more enjoyable. 1976 was a fun year for me with great memories, and this bike helps bring those memories back. The ride with 27s is far from sluggish, pretty quick in fact, and it handles moderate sized hills well. Fortunately, I have a few extra pairs of 27" tires. BTW, thanks for the compliments on the refurbishment. The paint wasn't in that great of shape when I got the bike, but looks pretty nice now. The original owner got to see a good chunk of the U.S. and Canada on this bike over a 44 year time period. Great guy. Hey, we grew up in a great neighborhood! He's riding the hills of New England on an e-bike now.

Last edited:
-----

thanks very much for sharing this find and for the story that goes with it! 😃

was slightly surprised to see that it wears Mikashima pedals; see from the specifications cross table that they are OEM

Sugino, Maeda, DiaCompe, Sansin Matsumoto are all part of the same keiretsu (trade group) so it makes sense to see those names together

the group's pedal partner is Kyokuto (KKT)

beautiful job with it!

-----
Thank you! I switched the pedals, but held onto the originals. I also replaced the plastic top tube cable guides, which I also held onto, with steel ones. Fuji did likewise for the 1978 model year. Very happy with the bike. The dimensions provide a comfortable, somewhat upright riding position for me.

Last edited:
Back