When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle camping - trailer or panniers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sven

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I have camped and I have biked before, but not the both together. When I go out of the area to try out a new trail I find lounging in the form of a motel.
My brother in law ,Billy and I are looking to bike and camp along the Greenbrier River Trail (80 miles) in West Virginia . Looking at September, after Labor day . Hopefully this trip take only three days.

Looking at two options for hauling gear.
Would like opinions and experience s of either one.

Apex single wheel trailer 65 lb capacity / 16 pound unit . Includes a little under 50L cargo bag.

One minor Con I see using this trailer is that I would have to convert one of my bikes rear hub to a quick release axle. The trailer comes with a special skewer that couples up to the trailer unit. Granted that's really no big changing axles out.

50 Litre panniers set
ROSWHEEL-50L-Water-Resistant-Bicycle-Rear-Pannier-Bag-Bike-Pannier-MTB-panniers-mountain-bike-...jpg

I never traveled with either panniers or a pulled a trailer of any sort. The closest thing to panniers that I have ever used would be my Schwinn Suburban with the rear baskets.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I have not ridden with either. I have been seeing a few of those trailers lately. Sounds like it will be a good time, with which ever one you go with. Have fun.
Hammerhead

I've toured with both. Once with a trailer, never again. The trailer was heavy and bulky. It was not a good feeling when going down hills with it pushing you from behind. It really screws with the bikes handling.

Panniers are the way to go. If you pack smart you can carry everything you need, plus you can lash stuff to them. You can add a handlebar bag for stuff you need to stash while riding - wallet, phone, snacks, etc.

Pack smart and enjoy.

I would go with panniers and maybe a front pizza rack. I'm thinking the trailer would get in the way and possibly limit your access to trials. Just my opinion.

I have camped with both a trailer and panniers.
My daughter and I each pulled BOB trailers on a 72 day trans-am 4,000 mile trip camping the whole way. Trailer was great. I still use mine almost everyday to run errands. I have lugs for a solid axle so you don't have to use a quick release. Pluses: 70 lb payload, takes the weight off the bike ( think zero flats) more sturdy on crosswinds, on the flat you barely know it's there. Negatives: $300, 16 lbs of weight w/o load, harder to transport/ship. My two other daughters and I used Panniers on a 27 day trip from NJ to Prince Edward Island Canada camping the whole way. Here we used a simple back rack, Nashbar Day Panniers and ultralight backpacking methods (9 pound base weight, hammock, bag, clothing/cooking etc.) Pluses: Total weight way less, much easier climbing, easier to load in and out of transit. Negatives: smaller payload, more stress on bike. Also look into bikepacking, those nifty frame packs spread out the weight. I have a $100 Revelate frame pack and I love it. Hope this helps. You can't buy love or adventure!

Back