When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Characters

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

oldspoke

Finally riding a big boys bike
In the town where I grew up there was a character, Bicycle Annie, that appeared all over town on her bike regardless of the weather.This was the 1960's. She was in her 70's and rode a balloon tire bike. She never owned a car. The town where I now live,Burlington Vt., had a similar character in Sam Howard.He never owned a car. He stacked pins at the local bowling alley and worked part time as a janitor at a restaurant. He loved his bicycle and equipped it with "all the bells and whistles". I was told that Sam wore a black leather motorcycle jacket and rode his bike all over town. The earliest license on the bike is 1965-66. The bike weighs a ton and must have been really heavy loaded with batteries. The motor is a plastic Vroom motor by Mattel circa 1963. Many of the towns and cities where I have traveled and lived have had their own bicycle character. Lincoln Montana had Ted Kaczynski who folks thought to be odd because he was always seen riding around on an old Schwinn .

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4223.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_4235.JPG

In the town where I grew up there was a character, Bicycle Annie, that appeared all over town on her bike regardless of the weather.This was the 1960's. She was in her 70's and rode a balloon tire bike. She never owned a car. The town where I now live,Burlington Vt., had a similar character in Sam Howard.He never owned a car. He stacked pins at the local bowling alley and worked part time as a janitor at a restaurant. He loved his bicycle and equipped it with "all the bells and whistles". I was told that Sam wore a black leather motorcycle jacket and rode his bike all over town. The earliest license on the bike is 1965-66. The bike weighs a ton and must have been really heavy loaded with batteries. The motor is a plastic Vroom motor by Mattel circa 1963. Many of the towns and cities where I have traveled and lived have had their own bicycle character. Lincoln Montana had Ted Kaczynski who folks thought to be odd because he was always seen riding around on an old Schwinn .
That is incredible! What ever became of Sam; is he still living? I would reckon perhaps not as his bicycle is without him. I know of a fellow in Hendersonville, NC which is a town in the foothills of the Blue Ridge. I don't know his name, but he has or had a scooter equally if not even more so covered in all sorts of lights and trinkets and things. That was back around 2010, and I haven't heard if he is still around or not. And of course here in my area, we had a number of local community characters who everyone, atleast the older generation knew in town. Unfortunately for me, it appears that in my own town I might be sort of the "bicycle character", as I am one of the few people who can regularly be seen riding a bike, period. And I only ride bikes from the 50s and older, so I stand out even more so, for better or worse.

Here is a picture I found online of the Hendersonville, NC Scooter Man as I have heard him referred to as.

hT4jeVD.jpg

my buddy Ron is kind of like that. no car. he has a Schwinn Varsity that had a steering wheel welded to the gooseneck, as well as upside down 10 speed bars. had a rack with a car license plate on the side, and a motorcycle license on the back. he added assorted bits and pieces of misc chrome bits he found in his travels. he retired that one and has a 37 Schwinn now with lots of add ons.

That is incredible! What ever became of Sam; is he still living? I would reckon perhaps not as his bicycle is without him. I know of a fellow in Hendersonville, NC which is a town in the foothills of the Blue Ridge. I don't know his name, but he has or had a scooter equally if not even more so covered in all sorts of lights and trinkets and things. That was back around 2010, and I haven't heard if he is still around or not. And of course here in my area, we had a number of local community characters who everyone, atleast the older generation knew in town. Unfortunately for me, it appears that in my own town I might be sort of the "bicycle character", as I am one of the few people who can regularly be seen riding a bike, period. And I only ride bikes from the 50s and older, so I stand out even more so, for better or worse.

Here is a picture I found online of the Hendersonville, NC Scooter Man as I have heard him referred to as.

View attachment 1250740
Sam passed in the late 70's and his family ordered that his bike go to the dump ! Luckily a visionary saved it. Yes, that scooter is of the same ilk. Glad to hear that your town has a bicycle character ! Safe travels !

Back