When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle collectors

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikecrazy

I live for the CABE
When I first got started in the hobby, my favorite reference book was " Evolution of the bicycle volume 2" I saw a lot of really nice balloon bicycles owned by Steve Castelli. I was wondering if anyone knows him or if he is still in the hobby. Just curious, no specific reason.

Steve is still around. just not actively collecting anymore. He still owns about 20 bikes. The rest of his bikes have been moving from collection, to collection for a long time. I have a few of them.

Has anyone considered a CABE publication of the format of Evolution of the Bicycle? There would be more then 2 volumes...
(I volunteer to be involved)

I've discussed this issue with others but two things come to mind; first it would be a massive undertaking, second, what would distinguish it from Nostalgic.Net http://www.nostalgic.net/ ? Dave's site has a wealth of visual information and largely serves that purpose as well as having an excellent browse feature, a brief history of the brands, and good Ebay links. V/r Shawn

I like the idea of a newer publication.
Agreed that Dave's site is the "go to" reference in our hobby, but there is something tangible about a book that any website just doesn't have.

It would be a massive undertaking and I can see some squabbling about which bikes to include and which ones were left out... criteria based on subjective condition, perceived rareness, and bias.
Personally, I would exclude all restored bikes, which I appreciate, but a disqualifier if you are aiming at being a reference (if a coffee table book, okay I guess).

I don't have the evolution books, but the examples are mostly from a small collector subset right?

If a book is ever conceived and is moving forward, I would take some good pics and contribute, asking ownership credit only.

Chris

Last edited:
Books are a tough sell these days 10x more free info on the net , in the day those 2 books were the bible to some.

Back