When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Grease vs Automotive Grease for Vintage Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

skiptoofer22

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have been using Chevron Delo NLGI-2 automotive axle grease for years on my old bikes and it seems to work great, but lately I have heard that the automotive greases will not lubricate bicycle bearings properly because they are too thick. I have also heard NLGI-2 grease is ideal for bicycle bearings.

Is there really a difference between automotive and bicycle specific greases?

Should I just use what I have or something else?

I'm just looking for everyone's opinion.

Thanks

I had been using this cause its easier to dispence than tub o' grease but when I changed chainwheel this Sunday it had disappeared or ran down and out.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1536110318137.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1536110318137.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 34
I would not use anything except axel or bearing grease, but I don't think you must use "bicycle" grease.

Been using synthetic marine grease in the tube for a number of years. Inexpensive cause you don't need to use a lot and it doesn't seem to breakdown.

Recently checked a wheel with over 2,000 miles and everything looked good. Grease still there and wheel spun freely.

The debates on greases and oils have raged for years. When it really comes down to it unless you are operating in extreme conditions there is very little difference over time between using any one brand or type. So you've been using the stuff for years with good results--kinda answers your question. V/r Shawn

My favorite is the green synthetic grease made by Lucas Oil and sold in tubes for a small grease gun. The consistency seems just right for bicycle bearings and it tends to resist "washing out" when used alongside oil lubrication (e.g., a three speed rear hub or an "oiler port" front hub). The grease is made for machine tools and farm machines/implements that see many more RPMs than even the bottom bracket or the pedals of a bicycle.

Prior to using the synthetic, I used plain, brown household lithium grease, which also worked just fine. The difference was that the synthetic tended to seal-in light oil much better than the lithium (the lithium tended to wash out when mixed with 20 weight machine oil). I think the consistency of the Lucas green synthetic is a little better for the bicycle bearings.

"Bicycle grease" (usually the red/pink Phil Wood stuff) works great as well, but isn't necessary for conventional/old style bike bearings.

"High temp grease" usually isn't necessary. If you're really jamming on a coaster brake and cooking normal grease (like the re-pack run guys used to do) high-temp grease is probably needed. But if you're just conventionally riding, the high-temp isn't needed. Use the high-temp on your coaster brake if you want, but hopefully you're not riding the brake so much that you're cooking off grease (and killing antique coaster brakes while you're at it).

There is no "magic grease" that's better than everything else and that will make your bearings last forever, contrary to what the advertisers tell you. What keeps your bearings, cups, and cones running properly is maintenance and cleaning. Keep some grease, oil, and cleaning supplies in the garage and know what the bike should feel like when it's running well. Don't keep riding a bike when something starts to feel dirty, gritty, or just plain off.

I use 100% petroleum jelly from the dollar store. When I wrenched on BMX bikes as a teenager we used Vaseline and I've continued to use it now.
Chris

Automotive , multipurpose greases are fine.
Just pack caged bearings correctly . I've pulled down some bottom brackets that had only a thin layer of grease to the outside of the caged bearings, which is as useless as teats on a bull.

Back