When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle history for the San Francisco Bay Area, 1867 - 1950

-

Morgan

On Training Wheels
Hi, new here, came in on a search for 1891 Victor Safety and found this. Couldn't reply with my latest blog post, which features that make, type and year of bicycle, so figured I'd just post somewhere here that I have a blog, https://fastestslowguy.blogspot.com/ where I often research the bicycle history of the first bike boom(s), specific to where I live, the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm trying to put together a history of the people, places, organizations and rides that made up this first boom, in part to show the people of today that a pretty great bicycle past came before us, and that our bicycle present and future can be that great, or greater. It helps to know who came before you. So, if you're interested in that stuff, give me a follow. Naturally, there is quite a bit about the bikes themselves in these old newspaper and magazine articles, but I don't focus on the gear. If you're interested, give my blog a follow. I also post some of the articles on twitter as https://twitter.com/fnagrom. Here is a Chronological index of historical cycling articles in San Francisco Bay Area Bicycle Culture, Historical page, where I manually add blog posts about that bike era, by date.

I do own a few older bikes, the only one that I think this forum would be interested in is this Circa 1910 Mead Ranger Special. I did scan a 1919 Mead catalog, and I've got another, older Mead catalog I might scan and share someday.

If you've got any information, pictures, stories, ephemera from the SF Bay Area during that first bike boom, please share them with me. I'm especially interested in the local club from my area, the Acme Wheelmen, a division of the Acme Athletic Club.

Morgan

-----

it is most excellent to remind Bay Area cyclists that there was a cycling scene prior to the existance of Leete publishing...

-----

Looking forward to checking out your work. Have you got this early shot in you're archives? Alameda Santa Cruz Narrow-gauge South Pacific Coast Railroad station circa 1880. I wonder if the Wheelman on the right belonged to a club?

If you click on my name then click on messages then go to the "original photos" thread there is a lot of pictures that you might enjoy. Welcome to the Cabe.

Here's a thread on an unusual local machine:
Be sure to check out the internet archive links- its a great story, well written by a descendant of the inventor.

If you click on my name then click on messages then go to the "original photos" thread there is a lot of pictures that you might enjoy. Welcome to the Cabe.
Oh wow, I see what you mean! I think I do have some research - in draft posts and newspaper clippings - related to what's in those photos. I might hit you up to learn more about those photos, maybe work with you on a story behind them?

Morgan

Looking forward to checking out your work. Have you got this early shot in you're archives? Alameda Santa Cruz Narrow-gauge South Pacific Coast Railroad station circa 1880. I wonder if the Wheelman on the right belonged to a club?
View attachment 1397002
No, and without an emblem it's hard to place him with a club. I am slowly gathering all the names of clubs, their insignias, uniforms and colors. Do you know more about the photo?

Morgan

Hello Morgan,,,Rudy here,, in Fairfax Ca..our Towns Museum ,,Marin Museum of Bicycling just reopened with the hours on their website,,and perhaps you can take a ride over The Richmond ,,San Rafael Bridge and check it out,,there insight and info about The Bay Area Cycle Community from the Days of 49 might suprise you ,,and I will take care or the door fee,,Simply mention my name ,
Good Day

Back