When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle id

-

Stan Mooneyham

On Training Wheels
Good Evening,
Can someone tell me what year this bicycle may be? A tag on the front say it was manufactured by Sears.

IMG_4355.JPG

Looks like a Murray-built middleweight bike from later 1960's (as an earliest date).
Check-out the Murray serial numbers thread on this site; compare to the serial number on the bike.
Looks later 60's due to the cantilever bars' front attachment to the left and right sides (versus the back and top) of the down tube.
Also, the head badge looks fairly modernized, for that era.
Front wheel looks replaced.

It looks like the tail-end or just-outside of the classic period. Restoration not. Refurbishment maybe. Repairs, clean-up, and maintenance, just for the enjoyment and riding.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. The owner did tell me that the front wheel had been replaced. He was asking $30 for it. I was thinking about purchasing it and restoring it. I will be honest and say that I don't know much about dealing with bikes or even if it would be worth restoring.

Thank you for responding. The owner did tell me that the front wheel had been replaced. He was asking $30 for it. I was thinking about purchasing it and restoring it. I will be honest and say that I don't know much about dealing with bikes or even if it would be worth restoring.

I would recommend you pass on this one. It just isn't worth putting any money or effort into.
Since you said you don't know much about dealing with bikes, what I would recommend is that you hang around for a while, do some reading on this site which is packed with information, get yourself at least somewhat familiarized with vintage bikes before you jump right in to a project. It'll likely save you time, frustration, and money in the long run.

+1 for what Jay81 says, BUT $30 is not a bad price for a bike on which you can learn a bunch of stuff. Tearing it down to the basic parts would be a exercise in figuring out how it all goes together plus you'll not spend a lot of money learning about some of the frusrations that accompany the rewards. You'll learn that everything on the left side of the crank has left hand threads. Learn how to disassemnle the front hub and clean and re-grease the bearings. Learn how to disassemnle, clean, and put the coaster brake back together. You might discover you have to buy specialty tools that you really don't want or want to spend money on. Lots of things to learn and this would be a cheap way to learn.

Last edited:
I would recommend you pass on this one. It just isn't worth putting any money or effort into.
Since you said you don't know much about dealing with bikes, what I would recommend is that you hang around for a while, do some reading on this site which is packed with information, get yourself at least somewhat familiarized with vintage bikes before you jump right in to a project. It'll likely save you time, frustration, and money in the long run.
Thank you for the response.

+1 for what Jay81 says, BUT $30 is not a bad price for a bike on which you can learn a bunch of stuff. Tearing it down to the basic parts would be a exercise in figuring out how it all goes together plus you'll not spend a lot of money learning about some of the frusrations that accompany the rewards. You'll learn that everything on the left side of the crank has left hand threads. Learn how to disassemnle the front hub and clean and re-grease the bearings. Learn how to disassemnle, clean, and put the coaster brake back together. You might discover you have to buy specialty tools that you really don't want or want to spend money on. Lots of things to learn and this would be a cheap way to learn.
Thank you for the response.

If you do end up acquiring it, remember this as the one bike that got you hooked on collecting. Be sure to update
this post 10 years from now with pix of your Evinrude, Blue Bird, 37 Roadmaster Supreme,
Aerocycle, Shelby Air Flo, and the rest of the acquired fleet!!

Back