When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Identification Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tnflyfishing

On Training Wheels
Hello!

Im new to the forum. I was just handed down a bike of my fathers that I’m hoping to restore (to some degree) and would like help identifying if possible.

As you can see, it came to me in parts and I’m told it was a birthday gift in 1972.

The only identifiers I see are Belknap and Bluegrass. Tire size 24x1.75.

Also, I was hoping to disassemble and clean the crank assembly, but see someone else did a number on the lock nut. I cannot for the life of me after days of penetrating oil, get this to loosen up. Or perhaps I’m using the wrong tools. Any ideas or advice on how I can get this to come loose? Same with the pedal rods - cannot get them to turn.

Thanks I’m advance!

Jerry
ACA45C2C-B375-4F97-A0D4-40DE0AC1CB18.jpeg
BCFFAE7E-880E-4F99-9FA6-D62ADBFD7D38.jpeg
D40A1060-E228-49CF-8E54-A64F8B67B2EB.jpeg
56BEED9A-8D30-4130-B928-73B60B8F85AD.jpeg

Jerry I'm not being a smart butt, but did you try going clockwise? Just checking, crank sets are the total opposite. Have fun with your project.

Sean

The chainring it has suggests it may have actually been built by Huffy. They built for a lot of other brands. Look on the rear drouput, next to where the rear axle would be for numbers. Also look on the headtube (steering). While you are at it, look under the bottom of the crank area on the frame. Post any numbers you find, they could be clues to the bike's origin.

As others mentioned, the threads are backwards on that nut on the outside of the crank. They are normal clockwise threads at the other end of the crank, holding the chainwheel on. Similarly, the pedals have backwards threads on one side and normal threads on the other.

Bluegrass was a product sold by Belknap Hardware and Manufacturing Company of Louisville, Kentucky (and usually Huffman built).

Thanks all! With some elbow grease (and advice on the left handed nuts) I finally got the full crank assembly and pedals out. Working on the front fork/handle bars and it’ll be completely disassembled. Once I clean it up I’ll try and get any serial number information.

Also, I feel ignorant, but before I disassembled the bike, I noticed that turning the pedals/chain did NOT rotate the back tire, suggesting something wrong with the standalone gear assembly in the back rim. Any ideas?

Also, with no one way bearing in the crank, I’m assuming the break/stop function (I.e. pedaling backwards) is also part of the back wheel standalone gear. Is this accurate? Anything I should be mindful of when tearing apart to inspect & clean? Or did these old bikes simply have no “stop” function?

Primary objective of course having it stop, go, etc. :)

Thank you all in advance! Cleaning this up is going to send my grandfather over the moon.

Jerry

Freewheeling, drive, and braking should be in the back wheel hub. Post pictures. The name on the arm will tell you what kind of brake it is. I am surprised it didn't engage, but you would start by cleaning it out.

Good bet that the grease in the hub has hardened preventing it to engage either forward or stop.

Found a great video on YouTube breaking down and cleaning the Bendix 70 - which is what this is.

The only thing I need to finagle out at this point is the handlebar assembly from the fork - which has likely never been removed in 50 years. I plan on taking a rubber mallet to it after I’ve let it soak in some WD40. Any other tricks of the trade to loosen it?

Thanks again - you all have been very helpful and welcoming.

Jerry

Back