When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle identification if possible

-
Some references to a St. George Wheelmen club in New York City:

From the 1899 Brooklyn Daily Eagle Almanac:

From May 13, 1899 issue of The Times (Philadelphia:(

From the 1900 Brooklyn Daily Eagle Almanac:

I would date this photo more mid to late 1890's. The bicycle your grandfather has as well as the other identical bikes appear to have steel rims. The bugler looks like a Civil War veteran. There is an interesting piece of bicycle equipment sitting on the shoulder of the man in back of the bugler. So as the club is riding down country roads and encounters an unfriendly, barking, and biting dog, does this piece of equipment get tossed overboard as the club rides safely away?

I should have stated this would have been in Philadelphia, my great grandfather lived from 1843-1922. At this stage of his life from what few pictures I have of him I would guess it was 1900, but that’s just a guess. The head badge definitely has a unique shape, I have to think someone will ID it based on the badge and fork. Thanks for all of you help and insight so far! Dave

Four machines are badged the same.
See Images Below.

….. patric

@Dmar73

11/14/2019 …. 9:25 AM

Sir … I have deleted all of my foto-shopped
images of your initial posting in Entry #1.

After working nearly four hours to add clarity
and magnification to your foto (for the sole
purpose of helping you I.D. a bicycle in a ''family
photo'') … I find that you have no reaction to
my contribution. Not even a ''Wow''.

my apologies, literally my first post here on CABE and I’m still trying to figure out how to use the format as I’ve not used it before...... keeps logging me out etc etc. but thank you for your effort. Zero intent to offend anyone!

Back