When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dean Carswell

On Training Wheels
I'm trying to determine the brand name and year of my old childhood bicycle. I got the bike in 1959 when I was in the 1st grade from my Dad. It was used at the time, but worked just fine. It's still in working condition, although it needs new tires and seat. I think it's a Schwinn, but can't be sure since the name plate is missing. I'm posting several pictures. I hope someone can tell me something about my bike.

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2889.JPG

Last edited:
Columbia?
Drop-outs, fork crown and chain ring look like Westfield or Columbia, and the kick stand looks peculiar.

Westfield badges may have had 2-1/8” vertical holes and a Schwinster 2-3/16” holes for fasteners. Westfield also had the horizontal holes.

If the wheels are 26” the gaps look like the frame or fork might accommodate 28” wheels(?). Maybe for a 1st grader, 24” wheels were installed on a 26” bike(?).

Last edited:
Mid '50s Columbia/Westfield Speedliner. The serial # should be on the rear axle dropout, and their codes reset in '55, starting with letter A again. It's what's called a middleweight, intended for 26 x 1.75" tires.

Columbia?
Drop-outs, fork crown and chain ring look like Westfield or Columbia, and the kick stand looks peculiar.

Westfield badges may have had 2-1/8” vertical holes and a Schwinster 2-3/16” holes for fasteners. Westfield also had the horizontal holes.

If the wheels are 26” the gaps look like the frame or fork might accommodate 28” wheels(?). Maybe for a 1st grader, 24” wheels were installed on a 26” bike(?).

Thank you for the information. The front badge plate measures 2 1/8" vertical from hole to hole, so it must be a Westfield. Thank you.

Thank you for the information. Question though: I'm far from a bicycle expert. What is the rear axle dropout? Thanks again.

Back