When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Locks, Do you use them?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MarkKBike

Finally riding a big boys bike
If you do, hopefully its not one of these.

IMG_5815.JPG

Today I picked up a women's Schwinn road bike very inexpensively at goodwill. The only reason i grabbed it is that it had a aluminum 27" wheel set that looked to be in good condition. I thought I could upgrade the steel rims cheaply on my own Schwinn and turn my le-tour into a super le-tour. The bike had this 70's / 80's era lock wrapped around the frame. I decided to try and pick it and watched a you tube video to see how its done. It was the first time I tried doing this and literally figured out the combo in about 45 seconds, (before I even finished the video).

I now have a working bike lock, that I'll be scared to use.

Last edited:
Have the coolest little cafe lock, unfortunately discontinued - Knog Milkman - there are still a few of them out there (f you hurry) A simple light cable on a yo-yo spool.
3' coated cable, keyed lock (they also make one combo), just long enough to barely reach around two intimate bikes and a lean pole.
This is a minimum security lock that weighs nothing, will stop the impulse thieves, but won't stop a pro,
but then, very few locks will stop an organized bike thief.
milkmanl5.jpg
knog_milkman_slot_gebruik.jpg

Fwiw, this little lock is every bit as secure as the big chain you showed - bolt cutters will snap a chain and it takes longer to chew through even this diminutive cable than to snap a chain (for the pros, a powered Makita cut-off would be a different story).

Have 6' keyed cable locks (plus longer loop cables) in the truck bed when I'm hauling bikes or kayaks, one Abus, one Master. The Abus 6' cable lock is also convenient enough to coil with a toe strap and haul in a bike trunk bag. A little more secure just because they're bigger cables, but
same story on attack by bolt cutters - probably a half-hour to chew through, while the powered cut-off theft would be at least a 5-minute task with a lot of sparks.
tkhHvus.jpg

Setting my daughter up for her two bikes and campus this fall. Bought the killer double-armored Abus Phantom - weights over a pound, but will carry in a front bag on her upright, and mounts to a honking magnet holder on the seat tube for her valuable Team Fuji. Secure enough for day trip into campus.
Also keyed.
lk10-5_1600x.jpg

Even a lock like this is not secure enough for overnight storage, but she won't be storing bikes outdoors.

Last edited:
I never leave my bikes unattended & out of sight without a lock. I'll only get one chance to own them. A quick run off is what I'm looking to prevent. Once that happens to you, you'll always bring a lock.

Cheap lightweight locks are what suites my needs. I have one beater that I'd leave at the train station for a day or whatever, but other than that my nice bikes don't stay unattended for too long. Although nearly all my friends thinks most of my old bikes are beaters, lol.

Mainly a haircut or a quick run to the grocery store is how long my bikes are locked up & out of sight for.

Last edited:
IF someone really wants your bike, they will take it. Locks and cables only give you a false sense of security and may work most of the time... For me anyway, I never let a bike out of my sight that I can't afford to lose. Sometimes, if I am forced to leave it alone, the only way I will do it is if I remove all four axle nuts from the bike before leaving it with a locked cable around it. Bike thieves. Now there is something to hate on...

(condoms don't always work so why use them at all)
not exactly true, because eating at a restaurant is the perfect use of a cafe lock.
Even wheel and fork locks work for that - no one can grab your bike and go.
005ecb75f759be181107a8679418e8ba.jpg

The highest bike-theft spot in San Antonio is the urbanite Pearl (defunct brewery) yuppie condo and eatery district.
People looking for bikes grab and run unattended bikes. We do bike watch there when we drink coffee on Sunday mornings.
John thinks if somebody grabs his bike while he's inside, he can catch them - that's the real false security.
Otherwise, all you need is a cafe lock for going inside a restaurant or a quick grocery errand.
And yes, it's still wise to position yourself where you can see someone futzing with your bike.
BcTbxZA.jpg

As I said, the double-armored Abus Phantom for my daughter's campus day lock is perfect for that.
Campus is a high bike-theft zone, because students will survive any way they can.
There's also a high bike count for pro's to target.
Can't get through that lock with a bolt-cutter, and it's yet quite a large chore with a powered Makita cut-off, and would draw a rukus in a campus bike rack.
In the case of high bike count, you're giving the perps a choice - they're going to target the bike with the easiest lock.
So yes, locks are given proper security ratings.
Anything is better than the John approach. He cannot possibly run with a determined kid on his stolen bike.

abus-padlock-protection-8.jpg

Keyvisual-Schloesser-2a-Egal-ob-Buegel-Falt-oder-Kettenschloss_slide_wide.jpg

if you're planning long-term outdoor storage, especially nights, go for 10, but if you can avoid it, don't do that.
Because if perps can't get into your stuff, they will probably destroy it trying to.

Not going to stay up all night because the kayaks are parked outside at the hotel.
Everything in life is a risk - just lean it a bit in your favor.
xayqRNJ.jpg

I did have one bike stolen in college using a chain like Mark's OP and key padlock.
It was my Wards Open Road from HS, and I got to replace it with a new Raleigh, which of course was never stored outside.
maybe James Coburn pedaled it to Spain
coburn.jpg

Last edited:
Back