When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Locks, Do you use them?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nothing legal will stop someone who really wants it, so I use the cheap coated cable locks four-for-$10 or so at box hardware stores when my bikes are pretty much within sight. Out of sight, I also add a good U-lock. They just keep the honest people honest and, like the old joke about not having to outrun the bear, just the other people running from it, any additional time a thief estimates it would take to steal, the more likely he is to grab an easier bike (or smash the hell out of your bike out of spite, the scumbags). My other theft deterrence is having bikes that don't look appealing to thieves.

The only time I have left a bike unattended with a lock is at the local train stop a few blocks away. I have a wallmart "Next" branded full suspension bike I once picked up used for 5$. Even though its full suspension, there is a sticker on it that warns not to ride it off road. If anyone ever decided it was worth stealing I would not be at all upset. When I bought it, I honestly did not think a bike could be made as poorly as this one.

The only reason I have not sold it is I have a conscience and would feel bad trying to pass it off. Regardless of all ts problems, it still beats walking to the train and if you carefully shift it, it will get you from point "A" to "B". I can leave it unattended all day with out a single care in my mind. (I have found every bike despite its quality can fulfill a useful purpose).

If I'm going to lock up a bike that will be out of my sight, I make sure to ride one of my beaters. I never let a good bike out of my sight, period.

I propose an additional perspective of security. Presenting the Tile! The only GPS Tracking device that isn't ungodly expensive. This little bugger will cost $45-$60 and last about a year before you need to replace it. It has a short distance tracker if you lose it by looking at the app on your phone, and if it goes out of that range, it sources the community of Tiles to attempt to ping it's location back to you. Sure, the company will get access to your daily routine and habits in order to advertise to you, but if you didn't already know that happens to you every day, then good luck!

I haven't tried it out yet, but since I'm paranoid and like to over-engineer things, I am going to try attaching it to my bike on campus. The chain will deter them, and if not, the Tile will find them...

I plan on building a vintage -style wooden crate for storage on the bike, and plan on building a secret compartment to house the Tile in. I will of course, also have a bike lock on the bike whenever I'm not around...

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS80L1QvNzAwMDEzL29yaWdpbmFsL3RpbGUtcHJvLXNlcmllcy5qcGc=.jpg

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS80L1QvNzAwMDEzL29yaWdpbmFsL3RpbGUtcHJvLXNlcmllcy5qcGc=.jpg

Don't ride my bike all the far.....could most likely leave it out in my yard for days without issue. BUT, love my bike locks. Every bike I build comes with a nice vintage bicycle lock and holder mounted on the seat tube and a wise lock on my Rat. Mostly for looks but I woud use them if I ever took any of my bikes somewhere other than my street or the one show I do.

Bart

Kryptonite had the same issue with their U-locks that used hollow metal star keys. Someone figured out a Bic pen barrel could be used to pick them. The Kryptonite U-lock was the gold standard, but the revelation of the Bic pen trick rendered them all obsolete in a matter of weeks. Kryptonite still makes a gold standard U-lock, but it uses a more conventional key now. My suggestion is to use a mixture of lock types when you lock-up - I like a heavy-duty U-lock plus a heavy-duty cable.

Nothing is absolute in this though. If you leave a nice enough bike unattended for long enough, someone will eventually steal it, even with the best locks.

As many of you have mentioned , that if someone really wants to steal your bike {or anything} they are gonna do it. I thought this video was interesting. The more TIME it takes a thief to steal your bike {using a good quality lock or better yet a combo of locks} more than likely he or she will move on to a less secured target.

kinda like the the story of two hunters..One asked the other, " What are you gonna do if we see a bear?" "Run" "You cant out run a bear!" "Nope, but I can out run you"

Back