When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Rifle--Quackenbush Herkimer Pat'd 1886

-
Quackenbush the official rifle of the Boy Scouts. I have one, only it has the wooden stock on it.

Many were long barrel pistols with separate attachable stocks; the idea was you could carry it in a leather case lashed to your frame. This pepperbox "grip handle" pistol is the wildest version of the bicycle weapon I have ever seen.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pretty-wicked-pistol-grip.137991/
View attachment 939549

View attachment 939548
That’s actually a revolver, not a pepperbox, you’d have 6 shots, not 1 with all six barrels going off at the same time!

I'm sure the Quackenbush is a rimfire, do you know what caliber? Really all too common was .25 RF, and no ammo made in the US since the '30s.
(A Canadian company made some .25RF in the '70s, and that old stuff now sells for $5/round)
Keep in mind it was also made for black powder loads, so modern cordite loads would have to be subsonic.
I bought a perfect 1919 Stevens Favorite take-down on Gunbroker that was sold as a .22, and broke my heart when I received it, because it was .25 caliber
BPCBgMa.jpg

Since I wanted a shooter, returned it, and bought my 1885 replica falling block (.22 field artillery)
C3cqGdl.jpg

way cool - don't shoot CCI HP, stick to CCI CB -
- not even Winchester or Aquila .22 short.

This won't fit yours, but I love shooting these Aquila 60-gr subsonic in my Low Wall - the thud at the other end is louder than the retort
jmsQ3C5.jpg

Last edited:
I just found out this rifle is a Quackenbush Junior Safety rifle. From what I am finding out the bicycle rifle folds from a rifle to a pistol. Sorry for the mis-lead but I haven't been able to find much info out there. Cool little piece anyway.

Back