When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle shop stickers

-
-----

here is one from a shop in the City of Turlock which is located in California's Central Valley

it is being worn by a Dawes Echelon model cycle -

Turlock California bike shop transfer .jpg

33971_hdr_51186702277505f5f629c3bcea53e312eece6e57.jpg

-----

Last edited:
They still sold bikes but they dropped it from their name in the 60s, then they became solely a Schwinn shop, in the later years mid 70s til they closed in the late 80s they were Thornburys Schwinn Cyclery, so they went they phases thru the years

Aaron
I agree with your timeline. Thornbury's was a "very large" old time Schwinn Dealership. They were a consistent top 100 dealer.

They still sold bikes but they dropped it from their name in the 60s, then they became solely a Schwinn shop, in the later years mid 70s til they closed in the late 80s they were Thornburys Schwinn Cyclery, so they went they phases thru the years

Aaron
I agree with your timeline. Thornbury's was a "very large" old time Schwinn Dealership. They were a consistent top 100 dealer. This was the sad fall out of the Schwinn Bankruptcy.
-----

Transfer on a Peugeot U08 tensped ca. 1962 -

View attachment 859234

View attachment 859238

---

Joselyn's was a small neighbourhood type "mom & pop" shop on the west side of El Camino Real Blvd. only a mile and one half from Leland Stanford Jr. University in California. Many a student purchased their cycle there through the years. IIRC they closed in the early 1980's.

The pattern of the transfer reminds me of something I had not thought about in decades. I believe it is a generic one retailers could order from a trade association such as Bicycle Dealers of America. The blank was standardised and members could give the details of their store to be printed together with their order. Thus saving the store much of the setup cost of designing their own transfer. Does anyone else recall these?

Thank you for reading. :smiley:

-----
Yes, but by the late 1950's they were yellow colored "water decals". Your correct they were a standardized format, the dealer just gave the name, address, and phone number information. It was available from NBDA, National Bicycle Dealers Association. You could order 500 or 1000. By the mid 1960's the labels became silver or gold mylar peal back labels.

-----

Thanks for posting! ;)

Visited Downey a few years back to collect a pre-owned Lejeune machine I had purchased from a private seller.

Likely originally imported by Mulrooney's. 1973 advert, same year as example purchased.

View attachment 932527

-----
Mulrooney's sponsored the Paramount Cycle Club for many years. They had up to seven dealerships at one point. Always one of the top two dealers selling Schwinn's during the 60/70/80's.

-----

Thanks for posting! ;)

Visited Downey a few years back to collect a pre-owned Lejeune machine I had purchased from a private seller.

Likely originally imported by Mulrooney's. 1973 advert, same year as example purchased.

View attachment 932527

-----
Mulrooney's sponsored the Paramount Cycle Club for many years. They had up to seven dealerships at one point. Always one of the top two dealers selling Schwinn's during the 60/70/80's
-----

Canoga Park is located in California's San Fernando Valley.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canoga_Park,_Los_Angeles

Climate: "hotter' n' hades."

San Fernando Valley best known as centre of U.S. "adult film industry."

-----
But in the 1950's and 1960's when all of this bicycling history was forming, the San Fernando Valley was just like the TV show Leave it to Beaver. Today it's a different story.

John

Interesting info on Mulrooney’s.
My local shop here in Costa Mesa, was called,
Mulrooney’s Sea Schwinn.
It opened in 1963, but I don’t see them listed as one of the dealerships in that advertisement.
That shop is still there, and serving the community well, but it is now called.
Two Wheels, One Planet.
D1C8AF91-F158-4601-BDAD-7ECF0EE0B941.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting info on Mulrooney’s.
My local shop here in Costa Mesa, was called,
Mulrooney’s Sea Schwinn.
It opened in 1963, but I don’t see them listed as one of the dealerships in that advertisement.
That shop is still there, and serving the community well, but it is now called.
Two Wheels, One Planet.
View attachment 1786820
Yes, it was a Mulrooney's store (Sea Schwinn in Costa Mesa, CA.) Likely one of their last and run by Michael Mulrooney. The family sold off their stores one at a time to the working store managers, and the stores continued to run for many years under the new ownership. The founder Jerry Mulrooney and George Garner owner of Valley Cyclery were consistently the two largest volume Schwinn dealers in the nation during the 1960's and 1970's. Both dealers were very good businessmen, ran a tight ship, had a business path vision, and worked their long-term plan.

I knew very few dealers that made "their retirement money" only by selling bicycles. It was a hard business, high inventory costs, low profit margins. Selling bicycles was just a path to the end, for the smart dealers. The cash flow from selling bicycles allowed them to pay the mortgage on their large new buildings and buying property. If you ask them today, they made it in the Real Estate game, many are now landlords. I will say that they did enjoy the bicycle business because most of them spent their entire working life connected to bicycle industry.

John

-----

in about 1973-1974 Mulrooney's did a direct importation of Lejeune bicycles and sold them through display adverts in BICYCLING! magazine for an extended period

they also wholesaled them to other shops

Mulrooney's Advert, Bicycling! Magazine .jpg

-----

Back