When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle shop stickers

-
0I6qhds.jpg

The "House of Wheels" is now a parking lot...
9WURDUZ.jpg

On my 1964 Schwinn Typhoon -
0DlLbtA.jpg

Serving Portsmouth & Norfolk, Virginia

Anyone know about this shop? Still in business? ANY info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D

I saved this bike from a scrapyard (didn't get from this shop), but I am curious about my bike's history - including the shop it came from. At least one of their bikes is STILL on the road!

On my 1964 Schwinn Typhoon -
View attachment 777340
Serving Portsmouth & Norfolk, Virginia

Anyone know about this shop? Still in business? ANY info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D

I saved this bike from a scrapyard (didn't get from this shop), but I am curious about my bike's history - including the shop it came from. At least one of their bikes is STILL on the road!

Doing a quick search of bicycle shops in the area...Could this be CONTE & SONS? Been around since 1957
https://contebikes.com/about/about-contes-bike-shop-pg219.htm

It IS possible.

The founder did have 2 sons, was named was Charles, and it looks like a "C" above the bird's wing (maybe C. CONTE & SONS), though I'm just guessing. I'll check it. Thanks

Pretty sure it is Conte's. They were a competitor when I worked in Va. Beach in the early 1980s. Besides our shop (Freewheelin), the other big shop in the area was Colley Ave. in Norfolk and they did not have a shop in Portsmouth.

I bought a Varsity from Jakes back in the early 80's. It was near a good breakfast joint my buddies and I would regular every Sunday morning.

Back