When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle storage in humid environment

-

TJW

Finally riding a big boys bike
i live in a very humid environment. It is very hot for about six or seven months of the year and a 35-40 degree overnight temperature swing is not that unusual in the winter months.

I keep my bikes (two 1940s Schwinn autocycles) in an enclosed garage that has a ductless air conditioner.

The garage is sheetrocked on the interior but there is no insulation. I keep the air conditioner temperature set at 78 degrees in the hot months and at 60 degrees in the winter months. The garage doors are almost always closed.

Can someone recommend a good cover and/or other ways to keep surface rust from developing and to keep dust from building up on my bikes?

I don’t ride my bikes very often so I am looking for a way to keep them looking clean and shiny and pretty.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a dehumidifier to keep humidity at 55% in my basement-no rust or mold problems. V/r Shawn

Keep them clean and covered with an old blanket or sheet. It's simple. I have found that sprays, oils etc. build up and make the dust and dirt stick better..Bringing them in the house, like hasndlebar hoarder is the best way. Leaving them set dirty and uncovered in a typical garage or shed over winter, is tuff on them. A long time collector, John Grey had the best method. His sister won several million in the Ill' state lottery. She built a new house with a special climate controlled room, just for John's bikes.

We've found this is the best spot
IMG_20180511_224101247.jpg

i live in a very humid environment. It is very hot for about six or seven months of the year and a 35-40 degree overnight temperature swing is not that unusual in the winter months.

I keep my bikes (two 1940s Schwinn autocycles) in an enclosed garage that has a ductless air conditioner.

The garage is sheetrocked on the interior but there is no insulation. I keep the air conditioner temperature set at 78 degrees in the hot months and at 60 degrees in the winter months. The garage doors are almost always closed.

Can someone recommend a good cover and/or other ways to keep surface rust from developing and to keep dust from building up on my bikes?

I don’t ride my bikes very often so I am looking for a way to keep them looking clean and shiny and pretty.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rust is Alive ! I keep my rusty bikes together and my not so rusty ones together indoors if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back