When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle tire snow chains????

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Sven

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
For those who ride in snow and icy conditions, has anyone ever ran snow chains on their bike tires?

Slipknot, a company from CO. sells these. . I have read and seen reviews giving thier opinions pro and cons.
IMO.....Seems like a more of a novelty than a true solution.

I personally would rather purchase set of Schwable studded tires.
s-l300 (1).jpg

Maybe I am missing something. Let me know.

No reason not to ride studs. Other than dry pavement. I can think of probably five reasons right off the bat why those chains are a bad idea.
1. Heavy
2. Rim brake clearance
3. Chain stay clearance
4. The gaps between the chains
5. You only need the littlest bit to bite, those chains are pretty exsessive considering the total weight of rider and bicycle.

879CB433-D7C1-4DF9-B8CF-612E2CE73DDF.jpeg

Last edited:
1st off @fattyre that is a purpose built bike jus' due to the tires so of course with knobbies & what at least appears to be a 3" it should go if ya wanna ride powder.

2nd off studs do help cars/trucks Some in the snow but wider tire profile does have a % factor as well.

I've known of guys putting cut off nails through dirt bike tires to ride frozen terrain 🤷🏻‍♂️
Some Old tractors had spikes welded to steel wheels before rubber 🤷🏻‍♂️

I mean if you need or wanna ride a bike in the cold icy wet snowy weather it can be done but I would recommend at least 26"x2.125" tires or fatter meant to do so. Otherwise get creative using those chains etc at your own risk & to the bike 🤔 I wouldn't Unless I had to❗

Back