When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Trainer

-

wrongway

I live for the CABE
I'll put this here, but it might end up being more for the three speed crowd. I'm thinking of getting an indoor bike trainer for this winter. I don't want to call it a New Year's Resolution cause then it won't come true.....;) I would like one of the ones that raises the rear wheel and not the front one. Is there one of these that might work with a three speed bike or will they only work with modern bikes? As another option.....has anyone tried the one where you have to balance and both wheels are in rollers?

Roller style is for advanced training because it works the core from having to maintain balance so that might be a little sketchy. My indoor trainer is designed only for a multi speed bike and QR skewers. Love the old Schwinn exercise bike and I bought this one for $30 at an "Antique Shop ", it's the magnetic resistance version powered by 2 D battery's and the pedaling action, they also made a less expensive version than basically used the resistance of brake pads on the rim, stay away from them!
b051b56ed41eac15f8c0bdf498d8f10e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller style is for advanced training because it works the core from having to maintain balance so that might be a little sketchy. My indoor trainer is designed only for a multi speed bike and QR skewers. Love the old Schwinn exercise bike and I bought this one for $30 at an "Antique Shop ", it's the magnetic resistance version powered by 2 D battery's and the pedaling action, they also made a less expensive version than basically used the resistance of brake pads on the rim, stay away from them!View attachment 729815

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind one of those, but around here they are all over $100!

You can usually use a single speed/coaster brake bicycle in a modern turbo trainer if it accommodates 26" wheels. I've currently got my teens French racer with wood rims set up on mine. If you disconnect the three speed cable you may be able to use it on one too, depends on the length of your drive side hub nut I guess.

I'll put this here, but it might end up being more for the three speed crowd. I'm thinking of getting an indoor bike trainer for this winter. I don't want to call it a New Year's Resolution cause then it won't come true.....;) I would like one of the ones that raises the rear wheel and not the front one. Is there one of these that might work with a three speed bike or will they only work with modern bikes? As another option.....has anyone tried the one where you have to balance and both wheels are in rollers?
I bought one last year and luv it. Unfortunately, due to med issues, I've been stuck on it for a while. It will work on any bike, old and new. I have one similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Magnet-Bicycle-Exercise-Trainer/dp/B018FNEST2/ref=sr_1_47?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1514485742&sr=1-47
They are anywhere from $30 to $300 or more. PS: I missed the 3 speed part.
IMG_1078.JPG

Regarding, rollers they are fun to use and not that hard to ride on, but you do need to stay focused.

I had rollers and fell off a couple times. Not bad.

I have one of those stand trainers, too and, if you opened a slot in the mounting cup, it might be deep enough to clear the 3-speed shift chain, but I'm not sure.

Back