When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Transporting

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Has anyone reading this tried one of those trunk mounted carriers? I would think they are made more for the lighter weight new bikes. What do you think?

I have a trunk mounted carrier (Saris Bones 3-Bike) that takes three bikes and works fine. I use it for lightweight bikes, but three of them add up to way more weight than a typical 35-40 lb vintage bike. Almost all of the weight is borne on the bumper and not the trunk deck (the deck arms are there for stability).

If you have crazy top tubes or a tank that doesn't fit the holders, then what you need (I need to use them with my mountain bikes) is something like a Yakima TopTube. It's an extendable bar that creates a straight connection between your seat post and handlebar stem, and it's this bar than sits in the rack cradle rather than the bike frame itself. It's basically a universal fit attachment that makes any bike compatible with a trunk rack. It's also a great way to reduce the chances of bike paint damage, even if the bike does fit the rack correctly.

Yakima Tube Top.jpg

Last edited:
Do you happen to know what the width of the base of that rack is? It looks like about 25-27".

Thanks.

23.75"

I can fit two side by side in my ranger pick up as seen here and even squeezed a 5th bike

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
hello

menards had bike racks that go in the reciever for 59.00 holds 4 bikes
and rebateoo of 15.and i had a storee rebat for 10.00 so it was a buy\

PVC rack

Here is my 5 bike rack I just built from 1" pvc.
Costs was about $65 from Home Depot. The idea was to fit the bikes on my 5' wide utility trailer. Just need to figure a way to secure the rear of the tires so that they don't shift side to side from the bouncing of the trailer. Normally when transporting in the Ranger pu bed I rope off the rear wheels to both sides of the bed to prevent shifting. Not sure that will work on the trailer.

Just need to build slats for each rear tire.....hmmm.... more pvc might work. Then there is always a 2x4 construction but, securement to the wood trailer deck is the issue.

vyny4asa-1.jpg

mysu4e4a-1.jpg

for those asking for measurements...here is what I went off of. This was found on the net. I modified it a bit to accommadate the shorter 12" trailer rail by turning the rack over so the 12.5" were coming from the bottom.
I also widened the between bike slots a bit so the bikes weren't so close.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I would like to ask I would like to purchase a bicycle for my daily transport to work & home. I stay Thomson road work place location at botanic garden. Any1 have an ideal what type of bicycle suitable for such distance? Where should I purchase from? I have not ideal on bicycle

Last edited:
Back