When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle vs Automobile restorations

-

T1Callahan

Look Ma, No Hands!
I had this thought the other day and have been kicking it around in my head. Why does it seem that the philosophy behind car restorations is completely opposite to that of bicycles. I am not a car guy, but do enjoy watching the tv shows and been to a few car shows as well. I don’t recall any of the car tv shows except maybe American pickers that value patina, original paint or original leather, original tops or chrome that may show its age. They seem to only care that the frame and body isn’t rusted and engine is number matching . It seems like they go for a complete overhaul, and the most dramatic restoration possible. I’ve been to a few car shows and it seems every car is torn down to the frame and ever part is repainted, re chromed, and interiors gutted to be replaced. They seem to want the car to look like it came off the show room floor.
But there seems to be a completely different philosophy around bike restorations. I know there are some differing opinions on the subject, but in my observations on these forums, people generally prefer to clean it up, but leave it as origina as possible, no matter how much patina there is. If there is only a bit of paint left on the frame and chrome has lost its luster , that seems quite acceptable and in many cases preferred. Obviously a bike or car that looks like it came out of a showroom and is all original is preferred and fetch a premium, but I’m more talking about the bikes and cars that show their age and are weathered to some degree.

Thought it might make an interesting topic, so please don’t be shy and share your thoughts.... I’m new to the bike thing, and like I said, I’m not a car guy so maybe I’ve got it all wrong.

Tom

I like my Patina trucks and bikes. Truck is getting updated suspention and mechanical and the body left alone. Partly due to I'm a painter lol. The bike I've been searching out the parts missing in patina matching paint.

20191228_123823.jpg

20190930_122018.jpg

Body and paint work (and materials) cost so much that many people are starting to value patina on cars, too. I think it's easier to find bikes with decent, or at least usable, original paint than it is to find a decent original car. Where I live, salt destroyed most cars, and in milder climates, cars were driven into the ground and junked. It's a hypothesis anyway! :)

I had this thought the other day and have been kicking it around in my head. Why does it seem that the philosophy behind car restorations is completely opposite to that of bicycles. I am not a car guy, but do enjoy watching the tv shows and been to a few car shows as well. I don’t recall any of the car tv shows except maybe American pickers that value patina, original paint or original leather, original tops or chrome that may show its age. They seem to only care that the frame and body isn’t rusted and engine is number matching . It seems like they go for a complete overhaul, and the most dramatic restoration possible. I’ve been to a few car shows and it seems every car is torn down to the frame and ever part is repainted, re chromed, and interiors gutted to be replaced. They seem to want the car to look like it came off the show room floor.
But there seems to be a completely different philosophy around bike restorations. I know there are some differing opinions on the subject, but in my observations on these forums, people generally prefer to clean it up, but leave it as origina as possible, no matter how much patina there is. If there is only a bit of paint left on the frame and chrome has lost its luster , that seems quite acceptable and in many cases preferred. Obviously a bike or car that looks like it came out of a showroom and is all original is preferred and fetch a premium, but I’m more talking about the bikes and cars that show their age and are weathered to some degree.

Thought it might make an interesting topic, so please don’t be shy and share your thoughts.... I’m new to the bike thing, and like I said, I’m not a car guy so maybe I’ve got it all wrong.

Tom

I draw more of an analogy between antique furniture and bicycles than I do cars and bicycles. Furniture is the same way-- people would rather have a 200 year old dark, original piece than a nicely refinished piece. On high end stuff this can be the difference in a few hundred thousand dollars. I think the original pieces 'speak' to people in a way a restored piece can't. We've trod this ground many times. Personally I appreciate, and own, both original and restored. The problem with a lot of restorations whether it be cars, furniture, or bikes many are poorly or incorrectly done. Non-original colors, patterns, base coat/clear coat, powder coat, etc... do not a bicycle restoration make. Whether its to cut corners or ignorance due to lack of proper research many restorations are really just refurbished. Jus my 2c V/r Shawn

I like restoratiions but not overrestorations. Many cars and bikes are taken far beyound what they would have looked like coming from the factory.

Those overrestored bikes and cars remind me of my grandfather's axe. My dad replaced the handle and I replaced the head, and yup here is my grandfather's axe!

I say use as many original parts as is safe to do. Would rather see a less than perfect condition bolt than a replacement, especially if the replacement is chinese.

I think it has more to do with who is "viewing" the item. At a car show where the general public is part of the audience, I think they like to see something brought back to original. Not so at Greaserama where rat rods are the norm. I've ridden in a few parades and the general public is much more impressed with a restored bike than one with patina. "What color are you going to paint it when you finish restoring it?"
It boils down to your preference and with whom you ride and who you're trying to please. One thing for sure; it doesn't cost near as much to ride patina than it does ride a perfectly restored one.

with old cars I prefer unrestored.I like seeing what is really there and not what was repaired and covered with paint. Unrestored also eliminates all the anxiety of people scratching up a beautiful paint job.If I take one of the old cars to a show I can just leave it and not worry about it. Pretty much the same with bikes. I have had the domino effect when a bike fell over in my garage a few times.

I think it has more to do with who is "viewing" the item. At a car show where the general public is part of the audience, I think they like to see something brought back to original.
I hadn’t considered this. I have not been to a bike show yet, think there’s a small one coming up near me in March . But I bet The audiences are different. Most likely bikes are shown off to other bike guys/girls while cars are also shown to other car enthusiasts, they also draw in more of the general public. Car shows also judge the restorations and award winners. Maybe that’s also part of it as the judges favor a full restoration instead of a well preserved weathered but all original car? So add judges to the audience...

Tom
I do see what you mean. I keep my bikes pretty original i only make it mechanically sound. My truck is the same way but i dowant to restore it. There are people who leave the cars the way they found them. But most people restore a car because its special to them and it preserves a memory. The other half is its more worth while financially to restore the car over the bike. With the tv shows, its just that a show. They do it to make money and keep people entertained. Why would they do it if it didnt pay

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back