When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle wanted by new member - please read!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi militarymonark,

thanks, that's valuable info...

Wow, that photo made me think. I wouldn't want a bicycle to look like that after a restoration. That looks like new from the shop!
If I would buy your JC Higgins bike (and the more I look at it the more I like it), I certainly wouldn't paint it new. I would repair defective points in the paintwork and try to preserve as much of the original varnish (laquer? My English...). Of course the rust has to go, and the chrome should look shiny and protect the steel. But one or two dents in the fender - who cares?
I think these bikes are more than 50 years old and they have a history. That's why Meryl Streep doesn't look like Paris Hilton...

But these are just my thoughts on restoration philosophy; I'm sure most people prefer the like-new look.

Back to ebay...
Bert

BTW, this is my Ordonnanzrad 05, the Swiss Army bicycle, built in 1944 (I just had to show you...).

Attachments

• Militaervelo [320x200].JPG
    Militaervelo [320x200].JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 108
your right on the money about restoring bicycles, most collecters value an original bike and definately removing rust and restoring the bad spots are great to do. The chrome on the bike isn't too bad it just really needs to be cleaned up. I personally like the original chrome with the pitting.

Hi militarymonark,

could you maybe send me some more detail photos of that JC Higgins?
I'd like the expert from San Diego have a look at them because he's the one who's going to do all the work, so please show him all the parts that need help, OK?

Do you think you have a better saddle for the bicycle, maybe a black one with lots of shiny chrome springs?

I'm really beginning to like this bike...

Not so sure about that head light, though. I think I'd prefer a fat, round chrome lamp.
And I think I have seen rear racks with integrated rear lights somewhere, would that be a complete no-no on this bike?
BTW, how are these lights powered? Batteries? Dynamo?

How much would you estimate shipping from your place to San Diego?

I hope I'm not annoying you with all my special wishes and noobie questions...
I hate taking advantage of other people's helpfulness, but in this case I don't have other opportunities I'm afraid, so: SORRY and THANK YOU!

Cheers,
Bert

Feinstrom,I'd also add that the J.C. Higgins---or a schwinn bike can be ridden---ridden everyday---with out problems.I'd pick up an extra set of tires,wheel and headset barrings,and have the rear coaster brake and bottom bracket serviced on what ever bike you buy---american balloon bike can be serviced with out special tools for the most part.You might also want to pick up a small set of wrinches and sockets while in the USA---sam

Hi sam,

thanks for the tips!

I wouldn't want to ride that bike every day. I couldn't leave it anywhere; in Osnabrueck bikes get stolen too easily...

I had already planned bringing an extra tire or two with me, and some spokes, screws, a few tools, light bulbs and everything that might be hard to find in Germany. I'm sure that restorer in San Diego can put together a survival pack...

Can you still buy new tires for those bikes? Due to German safety regulations I need (preferably black) tires with reflective stripes, if there is such a thing.

This is going to be some serious fun!!!

Oh, can someone tell me the appr. weight of these bikes? I think I'm allowed to take 25 kg with me, and I still need a toothbrush and some underwear...

Cheers,
Bert

Hi, I have a 1942 Huffman made Western Flyer I would sell, it would need a few parts and a bit of restoring but have you looked at the american bikes yet? you should look at the posts here and see what styles you like best and let that decide you. in the 1920's through the early '30's bike styling was toward looking like the motorcycles of that day. in the mid '30's to the mid '40's it was all about streamlining. in the later '40's through the middle to later '50's it was the "jet" age. late '50's through the '60's it was the "rocket age" as for brand, the earlier bikes from the '30's through the early '50's bikes were an art form and built with pride. in the '50's America went through a stage of industry where the goal was to streamline production and increase by sheer numbers. quality suffered and bikes got cheaper from this time onward. this said American bikes from any age are still a very hardy group. easily stronger and strudier than their European counterparts. in Europe, bikes were bought for and used by adults while in America bikes were almost exclusively the domain of children. because of this American bikes were built with the understanding in mind that they would take much more punishment than the lighter European bikes. keep in mind that a full dress American Cruiser bike can weigh as much as 34 kilos! I'm around the same height as you and advise you to stay away of the 24" bikes and smaller 26" bikes as well. it is my opinion that brand isn't really important as far as quality but can be everything as far as style is conscerned. good luck in your quest, let us know if you come to southern California and we'll try to plan a ride or something. here is the photo of my bike.
vbulletin

Hi 37fleetwood,

Thanks a lot for your offer and your tips for my bike-hunting!

I already have bought a bicycle (the one militarymonark had offered to me).
It's a J.C.Higgins from the 50s, I don't know the model name or the exact age. Militarymonark has already made a few changes to the bicycle for me (mainly gears and brakes - I had a great time hunting the parts down on U.S. eBay!), and now it's in San Diego for the finishing touches.
I haven't got any talent or time for restoring a bicycle by myself, and spare parts are impossible to get in Germany, so I have to do it this way.

I think in early 2009 I'm going to pick up the bike myself in California. I heard about some fun rides around that area which take place in spring, so I'll try to plan my holidays around these events.
I hope to meet a lot of you folks then!

Cheers,
Bert

Back