When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycles Related Fumbles In The Film Industry

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kostnerave

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi Cabers,
I think I've found a subject commenting on and grumbling about. It's the lack of attention to detail concerning bicycles used in "period piece" filming. I know this situation has been going on forever, but why do technical advisors, while working on "period piece" T.V. shows and films, always get things so blatantly wrong?
I really like a lot of the programming on PBS. The shows feature great acting, high production values and good story lines, but I watched two programs last night, that fumbled the ball with prop bicycles.
First, it was a show called Hotel Portofino, that took place in Italy during the 1920's. Bicycles were shown in the backround with no regard for accuracy, complete with reflector pedals! Even if you can't find actual 1920's bicycles, at least take two minutes and put some black electrical tape over the reflectors.
Next up was a personal favorite of mine, a murder mystery called Endeavour. This show is supposed to take place in England, during the early 1970's. In the first two episodes, they showcased a bright yellow Raleigh Chopper. The problem is, it's an obvious reissue bike with a split saddle and a gripshifter. I would think that there are numerous Raleigh Chopper collectors in England! Go ask a Raleigh Chopper club member if anyone would like their bike featured in a very popular mystery program ,and I'm sure somebody would have said "yes"!
The point is I'm tired of these miscues when, with todays available research tools and the technical advances in the film industry, shouldn't exist. It's lazy and shows a lack of respect for the bicycle and it's place in history.
Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

It happens quite often, even more with cars. I was watching the movie " Internal Affairs " yesterday. Richard Gere is being tailed in his 63 Corvette Roadster with HT in place by Andy Garcia in an unmarked car. Gere manages to get free at a busy intersection and 5 seconds later as he is half way down the block the top is off the car.

In Dr. No Bond gets picked up at the airport in a black 57 Chevy convertible with red interior. As the car is speeding away and going faster they keep showing the speedometer so you know they are speeding. One problem, the speedometer they keep showing is a black dash 57 Ford.

My dad used to supply bicycles for period films with production in and around Providence, RI. I'm sure there are a number of folks here on the CABE who do the same. Production companies certainly get it wrong more than they get it right. I believe studios have their own period prop bikes when filming on the lot, the challenge is location filming and whether there is a nearby resource, allocated budget, etc.

well... bicycles in movies are much more accurate than guns. the Winchester 1892 is the most popular rifle in Western movies but was not made until 1892 when things were beginning to slow down. I'd say most Westerns are early post Civil War, not post 1892. the Rifleman TV show the star is an 1892, and the stories were in the 1880's.

The best one to me is the movie Sandlot, which is a movie set in 1963 but when they pan around the junkyard (the Beast's yard), it clearly shows a 1980's Chevy squarebody door. Also, when the movie's "bullies" show up on the baseball field, alot of them are riding nearly perfect condition Schwinn black Phantoms which by that time would be at least 10 years old and probably not all that "cool" to a group of preteens, not to mention, in perfect shape with all their parts.

The best one to me is the movie Sandlot, which is a movie set in 1963 but when they pan around the junkyard (the Beast's yard), it clearly shows a 1980's Chevy squarebody door. Also, when the movie's "bullies" show up on the baseball field, alot of them are riding nearly perfect condition Schwinn black Phantoms which by that time would be at least 10 years old and probably not all that "cool" to a group of preteens, not to mention, in perfect shape with all their parts.
I also noticed in that movie that a bike was fenderless and in a later scene the fenders were in a pile of garbage near a dumpster. 🤣

See... I feel your frustation. Those Phantoms were probably harder to procure than some middlweights or even a Schwinn Traveler. It's also silly with the ability to computer generate backrounds, having a door off of an 80's model car in a 1963 period film. My point is these PBS shows are current and this stuff is still going on!

I can personally say that Phantoms were still the bike to have in Detroit in the early 60's if you were 11 or 12, although DeLuxe middleweights were very desirable as well.

Back