When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigelow & Dowse bike information wanted.

-
Z

ZTony8

I'm posting for a non computer equipped friend.Does anyone have information on these bikes?My friend has one that we think dates from the 1920s.I'm going from memory here so my data is,unfortunately,spotty.What we do know is that Bigelow & Dowse(founded in 1884) was a large hardware wholesaler and bike seller(a producer too?) in the Boston area.My friend's bike has wooden wheels(28" I believe) and a Troxel seat.

I found mention of them selling Dayton (Davis sewing machine co) and Crawford bikes in 1898. The address is listed Bigelow and Dowse co., NO 229 Franklin street, Boston Mass. I couldn't find any information on the later models. Perhaps you could locate a catalog around the estimated time frame.

We saw that catalog and didn't see any other,later,catalogs.This thing is one big mystery.

I have many catalogs on Bigelow Dowse...It later became part of Decatur Hopkins... my family’s company. Any interest in selling the bike? Do you have pics
Please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here you go!

1893 CATALOG SHOWS: CENDERELLA, HERCULES, LADY SUNOL, STELLA, SUNOL LIGHT ROADSTER, ROYAL SPECIAL ROADSTER, TRIANGLE FULL ROADSTER & WHIRLWIND as bicycle names.

MARCH 4TH 1897, THE IRON AGE HAS BIGELOW & DOWSE CO. listed AS AGENTS FOR “CRAWFORD” AND “WORLD” CYCLES, ALONG WITH SELLING THE “B & D SPECIAL”.
THE “WORLD” TANDEM SOLD FOR $150.00.

1575494963362.jpeg

1575495007214.jpeg

1575495031968.jpeg

1575495073335.jpeg

Back