When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest 700c tire on a Suburban?

-

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
I picked up a ratty red Suburban and might convert to wide 700c aluminum wheels. For those who may have already done so, what is the widest tire that will fit under the fenders.

Been many years and I am now older, dumber, an forgetful, but I THINK it was either 28 or 32. I think the former allowed use of original fenders but 32's required after market plastic replacements.

I wanted the wider tire for bike trail or bad surface street use and the alloy wheels and plastic fenders offered a significant weight reduction so I went with them. Bike was a lot easier and more fun to ride but still had the look of a stock bike. I did a couple of other mods like alloy handlebars, 3 piece crank, and replaced that awful rear derailleur

I kept all the original parts and when I sold it was a simple matter to make it factory original again.

Back