When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike across America 1965

-
I found it interesting that the guy had sew ups on his Paramount and he was not adverse to just peeling off an old worn tire and gluing a new one on! I guess they were lighter and folded more compact than a clincher.

Great, thanks for shareing! Very interesting for sure.
One of my favorite books is "Miles from Nowhere". Its an older book and the author, Barbara Savage, rode around the world with her husband. Unfortunately she was killed once she got back home riding on a CA road when hit by a car. This was a late 80's book i think.

I found it interesting that the guy had sew ups on his Paramount and he was not adverse to just peeling off an old worn tire and gluing a new one on! I guess they were lighter and folded more compact than a clincher.
I did this twice yesterday while out on a ride, so many punctures!
I use 'tub tape' rather than glue these days though.

Wow… it’s been on a relative’s bucket list and he’s been trying to include me on that list.
I ride a lot but not a roady and spend most of my time on mountain bike single track.
Well, we are both 70 years old, I still cruise the neighborhood on my antique bikes and ride my Specialized fully all year long and not ready to go E bike. He still plans to do a trip but up the west coast from San Diego to Washington state..on an e bike. I’m wishing him luck..I’ll stay here and ride NE trails.

When I lived in Western North Dakota, I was on Route 2 which most cross America riders followed. Numerous times riders would seek me out and we would give them a hot meal, warm shower and soft bed under a roof. There evidently was some kind of internal sharing about us among those making the trip. We met some awesome folks.

B64665C0-20DF-497B-ABF1-8FB48583B663.jpeg

D03E447C-24D6-48CE-A9DA-147DA5401084.jpeg

17984BF4-D911-4AAB-B7FE-F04300558585.jpeg

7E41B049-1C83-4BF3-A9B7-526A4026806E.jpeg

D4BA75B3-F3D6-4D5F-9BF2-2C223CBC22A6.jpeg

Back