When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike, Collectors, Investors and Hoarders

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
As for classic bikes are concerned they are out there still and many are still stuck in barns, basements, back yards, in the dump and swaps and garages, attics and storages..... just waiting to be rescued....Early bird with cash in hand gets the worm nuff said

Last edited:
Do you hoard anything besides handle bars?
well yes i do as a matter of fact.........

I am in this hobby because I am a romantic at heart and enjoy well-made, old things. But even more than that, I enjoy rolling along a flat country road or conquering a hill, or coasting down hill on whatever old bike I'm riding at the time. One could be happy with just one old bike, but one can be miserable owning a million, if you allow a negative mindset to take hold. I think the mindset is getting the old bike on the road (even if it's a basic old junker) and putting it in motion. Persistence and ingenuity conquer all.

As for classic bikes are concerned they are out there still and many are still stuck in barns, basements, back yards, in the dump and swaps and garages, attics and storages..... just waiting to be rescued....Early bird with cash in hand gets the worm nuff said
This brings up an interesting point. I used to get all hot and bothered about "flippers" and "vultures" back in the day battling for parts as a young collector but someone brought up an interesting point and I never forgot it. In alot of cases, the flippers and such are bringing bikes back into the hobby that in alot of cases would have never seen the light of day so as annoying as they can be on occasion, they do serve a purpose to all of us even if they drive the cost of parts up.

...even if I had the cash to buy nice original bikes I'd still buy the crummy ones and fix them up. so the "bike mechanic" aspect of it has an appeal to me as well. I like taking junk and making it better. bikes, cars, furniture as well.
Im the same way....I love an original bike but to me, the "left for dead" bikes sure offer a larger feeling of satisfaction....A solid challenge....

This hobby seems to have the same problem as all the other hobbies out there. I am a collector of many things from license plates to comics and bicycles. I have seen the same problems come up in each one of them but what can you do? I understand it's frustrating but you just got to shake your head and move on. I will admit, I have bought things with the intention to make money because that also is a hobby I have found to enjoy, as long as I don't get to attached to the item. 😅 Just my two cents.

Brandyn

I've got no right to comment on what others do, so long as it's not hurting anyone (and no, driving up the price of a niche collectible isn't keeping anyone from owning or riding a bicycle). It's simply none of my business.

I'm also secure enough in the way I live to not feel the desire to tell anyone they are "wrong" (as if anything discussed in this thread were a moral issue).

I'm not suggesting my way of thinking is suitable for anyone but myself, but I will say I've been a lot more content since I've decided to not concern myself with things that are out of my control - especially when they don't concern me. It pretty much makes news and social media irrelevant (so many hours reclaimed right there).

That said, I've committed all three "sins" here at various times. At this moment, all I really want to do is ride my bike, and admire the old bikes of others. That's why I'm here. Yeah, I still have some bikes, but it's a number that makes sense for me. And it's subject to change. Thanks to all here who are preserving bikes, bringing them to shows and swaps, and posting pics.

"This hobby seems to have the same problem as all the other hobbies out there" Yep they are all pretty much the same. Doesn't matter if you collect salt and pepper shakers or Roll Royce's Having numerous other bad habits and I have noticed that the Bicycle collectors do inflate internally the prices of bike and parts. You can out price your own hobby. I see posted a thread of a decent sized bike auction, some have said only a couple of "good" bike. others comment that mostly entry level bikes. well guys you need new entry level collector all the time to keep the hobby moving. Instead comments like bike # 126 would be a great place to start your collection or #199 be a good place to move up a step from basic entry level because of this and give some real advice..
We all started someplace some how.

Back