When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike, Collectors, Investors and Hoarders

-
Showing a set of wheels that actually sold for that would be germane to the conversation. As far as ‘fair’ goes as long as a buyer and seller reach an agreement that both are happy with that is fair. Affordable is a separate issue. Seems like the real rub here is that you’re upset about being priced out of a market. I don’t lament the days of $4500 Autocycles and accept that I probably won’t own another. That’s just the way things is! V/r Shawn

You are entitled to your opinion, and yes, sometimes life doesn't seem fair. Many of us might feel the frustration of not being able to easily obtain a desired bike. Keep the hunt going, maybe someday you'll be blessed by a lucky find or a great deal.
I don't let this stuff bother me. It doesn't keep me from enjoying the hobby. Much of what you mention is out of our individual control.
At least the collectors and "hoarders" are preserving the bikes. I'm glad they are, maybe someday I'll be able to get one that I want..
And many of them are very knowledgeable people that have a lot to offer the hobby.
Investors? I try to be smart and pay a fair price. Sometimes I'll make a little money to reinvest into the hobby.. I could be mad at them, or just choose not to pay those prices. And I enjoy seeing the rare and cool stuff.

I just play at a level that I can afford to (or am willing to pay) and have fun. I started in the hobby around 2010 with Schwinn Middleweights. I can have a lot of fun on a quality American made $50 bicycle and I've had many. My first trip to Ann Arbor was in 2010 and I was blown away by all of the great stuff. I haven't missed one since, and eagerly await the meets this year.

I have since learned a whole lot, and with some gained knowledge and exposure have evolved into collecting some pretty interesting bikes. There are a whole lot of bikes out there that I'd like to own but can't afford. And I'm ok with that. I'm glad for the people that do own them and share them by riding them or showing them here. And I've met a lot of good people that I'm thankful to know.

Thanks for the response and I understand your point man, but didn't mean the hobby is dying. The Mopar muscle car market hasn't died (yet). That happens when the last of the Era of people who originally owned or wanted to own them has passed.

Had the prices not skyrocketed into second mortgage range, or affluent class people investing in them for extra retirement money maybe a new generation of average Joes (or Josies) may have carried the torch so to speak. Two cases in point.
Before anyone makes a rude comment I would like to say yes, I do understand Supply and Demand, Free Market and the theory of Capitalism. I had Economics classes in high school when they still taught that subject. That is why I am so appalled at this not being understood by a good number of members here.

1). A couple in my hometown had a beautiful original 1927 Ford Model T (corrected) convertible. They bought it over half my lifetime ago and rarely took it out. When they did they always had at least one offer to buy but they never felt the money was a good enough profit to sell. About 10 tears ago I saw it for sale at their home, but never saw anyone stop. The price finally got down to $2500 before I never saw it again. They owned it for 40 years and in the end sold it for probably less than they paid for it in the 1980s. Plus they stored it in a climate controlled garage and rarely took it out to enjoy it.

2). The Mopar market went crazy about 25 years ago when some members of my generation got into a position to buy one. Prices went thru the roof and suddenly the market went from finding running cars for $500 to buying rusty hulls that had been stripped bare for $5000. That was great for the sellers, and for a while the average guy was still hanging in there. Soon though it became like horse racing, a sport of Kings.
A few years ago I was looking at a car sellers publication and I saw a listing that made me almost vomit on my waffles.

A seller had a 1972 Dodge DART 4 DOOR with a moderately built up 318, the Torqueflite 904 transmission and the gawdawful 7-1/4 rear end for sale at the princely sum of $18,000 American. When he built it you couldn't buy a 2 door and he wanted a Dart badly so he spent too much on a 4 door car and drove away a happy camper. Then when he tired of it and wanted to sell he saw 2 door Darts bringing $15-20k and thought his was worth that much as well
Everyone I knew made fun of the ad. I felt sorry for him in a way, he was the victim of his own desires for sure, but also of a market driven to unbelievable heights by ever increasing greed.
I don't know if it sold or what he got if it did. But I would bet my best pair of socks it was nowhere near $18,000 American.

Now it is bicycles, older stuff is going down in price. Musclebikes in particular have been making trips to the moon though. An earlier post commented on not being able to afford Musclecars anymore, but bikes for now are still reasonable in comparison. Those days are going away soon. I am happy for all you guys who can afford a stable of awesome Krates, Super Deluxe Stingrays and other almost unobtainable bikes like almost NOS Sears Screamer 5 speeds or Huffy Rail 5 speed bikes.

Here is a deal you should not pass on since some of you think the current market is fair and affordable
View attachment 1608521

View attachment 1608522

View attachment 1608523
But since not all of us can afford to pay $4000 to buy a pair of wheels to make our 1972 Disc Brake Krate roll again we can sit and look at our frames, repro forks and seats and dream.

Once again, sport of Kings.

At that rate it will cost $10,000 American for a disc brake Krate soon. I looked on the Bay, I couldn't find a real Krate for sale with a disc brake at all and that is a rare thing. At the price of these wheels I am sure they are getting parted out since that is more profitable. Paying $10k for a child's bike that originally sold new for $120.00 is rather exorbitant in my mind.

I yield the floor to my illustrious club members.
If somebody with deep pockets or their priorities are bikes first wants to pay a certain price all good. If a seller has 10 Areocycles and won’t sell any of them, that’s ok. I suspect you were taught different lessons in “fairness” than somebody my age (62) And weren’t taught anything about free markets. I was 60 before I could justify buying a car I really wanted. Being young with little money or middle age with a family set my priorities in a different direction. As time went on my hard work allowed me to do other things. Our country,since I was 40, became much wealthier, for certain people, people willing to work harder, some with a lot of education and some willing to take a chance starting their own business and some both. This drove up the prices of lots of cool stuff. NOT EVERYBODY CAN AFFORD THE THINGS THEY WANT. If you don’t like the state of the hobby, work harder,make more money so you can afford the pricey stuff. I guarantee if you get there, you’ll think the prices and availability are just fine.

Last edited:
If somebody with deep pockets or their priorities are bikes first wants to pay a certain price all good. If a seller has 10 Areocycles and won’t sell any of them, that’s ok. I suspect you were taught different lessons in “fairness” than somebody my age (62) And weren’t taught anything about free markets. I was 60 before I could justify buying a car I really wanted. Being young with little money or middle age with a family set my priorities in a different direction. As time went on my hard work allowed me to do other things. Our country,since I was 40, became much wealthier, for certain people, people willing to work harder, some with a lot of education and some willing to take a chance starting their own business and some both. This drove up the prices of lots of cool stuff. NOT EVERYBODY CAN AFFORD THE THINGS THEY WANT. If you don’t like the state of the hobby, work harder,make more money so you can afford the pricey stuff. I guarantee if you get there, you’ll think the prices and availability are just fine.
Not to be rude but I feel some of you were a little bit so sue me.
You did not read this thread or even this post straight thru or you wouldn't have missed some key information.

1). I am 62 in June.
2). I had at least 2 years of economics in high school
3). I grew up in the same era you did but apparently in a friendlier place
4). I am disabled, and on disability. I have not much hope of "working harder" to get what I want and disability has not kept pace with inflation.
Make $850 a month with no way to make much more and tell me how many bike parts you can afford once you pay your bills.
5). I should not even have to tell anyone my personal business here but I am damn tired of hearing that I could have more if I worked harder or looked harder or drove farther or whatever else the armchair quarterbacks think I should do.

Now that those points are cleared up, do you have anything constructive to say? I asked in the beginning for courtesy and respect in the comments and not too many of rhe people that disagree with my point of view here have done as I asked.
If I had this to do again I might have closed the thread to comments but that isn't how I think. I believe in allowing opposing points of view, but I expect people our age to respect others wishes and points of view, especially ones our age who grew up in a different climate.
I was making an observation, an observation with factual evidence to back up my observation. The point is that yes, we can't always get what we want. Hard work will make up for some of that if it is an option. I do not expect a handout, or for someone to feel sorry for me, but I also do not expect to be insulted, talked down to and berated by people because they don't like what I have to say.
Maybe a lot of the people I am getting this treatment from fit one or more of my profiles here and don't want to admit it to others or themselves. That is your choice. I am not telling anyone what they can or cannot do but I am trying to point out that sooner or later it will be time for you all to take your turns on the wheel of life. When that day comes and nobody wants to hear what you have to say, remember this conversation and your responses to my concerns.
Rob

The group that makes me sad are the ones that never let anything go. Then they die and it all gets thrown away by some annoyed relative who sees it all as junk. I hear vintage bike parts screaming in the metal crusher. “Save me”. 🤣
I have a brother like that.. So DAMN cheap he SQUEAKS when he walks... He's got TONS of cool old stuff and won't sell, barter trade none of it.. Just sits their and rots dill Dooms day.. Really PISSES me off..

rob-your opening statement for this thread is an attack on about 85% of the people here on the c.a.b.e. and the hobby itself. there seems to be also an underlined tone of resentment for those more fortunate than yourself. you are trying to silence most of us by asking for praise only/courtesy on your comments-in other words you are trying to control the threads direction-to your favor. at almost every comment you have backpedaled and reclarified yourself-in some cases-almost a reversal of your original thought. it seems you have nothing to do but play a game of 'forum engage' instead of bringing something positive to the table about our hobby. if life hands you a lemon-make lemonade out of it. there will always be greater and lesser than yourself.

rob-your opening statement for this thread is an attack on about 85% of the people here on the c.a.b.e. and the hobby itself. there seems to be also an underlined tone of resentment for those more fortunate than yourself. you are trying to silence most of us by asking for praise only/courtesy on your comments-in other words you are trying to control the threads direction-to your favor. at almost every comment you have backpedaled and reclarified yourself-in some cases-almost a reversal of your original thought. it seems you have nothing to do but play a game of 'forum engage' instead of bringing something positive to the table about our hobby. if life hands you a lemon-make lemonade out of it. there will always be greater and lesser than yourself.

Well said.

Back