When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike, Collectors, Investors and Hoarders

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
3e20f9bfb677e6c7742be55b2fa542ec.gif

Stylishly late to the party, I realize but let me just say this about that. I don't fit into any of these pigeon holes.

What's more, anyone that forks over the cash can do pretty much anything they want with the goods. They own it.

I've been fortunate to acquire some pretty cool stuff over the years. I've always spent within my means and remained responsible. And I can see that at some point it will be prudent to part with my stuff so as to not burden my family with that chore. I also heard that the tolls on the highway to hell are quite high and there is no easy pass.

I envision the last piece I will have will be the duplicate of a used red 1961 26" JC Higgins my dad got me for xmas about 1968 or so when all the kids were rockin Schwinn sting rays, or those who could afford them. To his credit it was in very good condition but I was otherwise horrified. It was the base model, a 50's throwback, tank bike wanna-be, given to a kid who just wanted a sting ray and Chuck Taylor's instead of PF Flyers.

I stripped the bike, painted it black and yellow, the colors of my future brother in laws racing Triumph and turned it into my sting ray. I never mastered the wheelie. The frame was too gangly for my undersized physique but it was no longer the embarrassment that I originally received.... or percieved.

A few years after I caught the collecting bug, I stumbled upon the very Higgins from my childhood on ebay. It was a bit overpriced and a pick up only in Indiana so I passed it by. It kept popping up on my feed as if to haunt me. I looked up the town and it was only a few miles from my sis in Merrillville. Done deal.

This time around, the bicycle will remain intact. It has been a life lesson for me in humility, appreciation and gratitude. None of which I can show towards my dad at this point.

All of our stuff has some kind of meaning to us and to do what we want with. We collect to the delight of ourselves and unfortunately at times to the disdain of others. If it's played out right, the Higgins will be the last in the stable. It's not worth a lot but it's value to me is treasurable. And if it goes to the curb after they are done cleaning up after me I'm pretty certain one of you CABERS will snatch it up.

There will come the day when we and our treasures must part. I think the chances of these treasures going to waste are very slim. And the cycle continues.

Last edited:
I understand wanting to make a profit. on another thread we are talking about things our elders told us. An older guy i know had an automotive wrecking yard. when he died he was worth well over $1,000,000 not counting his Life Insurance.
He told me "You don't have to make a lot of money on one part as long as you make money on all your parts." He was a great friend, veteran, business owner, and husband.
I figured if it worked for him it was good enough for me.
Amother more grumpy wrecking yard owner once said. "You can't go broke making a profit but you can go broke trying to."
basically similar info. Are all wrecking yard owners philosophers?

Yes, they are your parts, and you a
have time work and money in finding them. You can do what you want with them.
If you want a high price sooner or later someone will buy it. If the concept of fairness and courtesy are too radical to belong here, I fear there is no hope of meeting anywhere near the middle.

I don't mind if you wish to share opinions, thats why I started it. But some of you seem to take offence to me believing that prices on bike parts have reached hyperinflated levels like musclecars and vintage bikes and I fear it is going to break the hobby one day. Maybe sooner than we want.
Three Thousand dollar Disc Brake Krate rear wheels will be as valuable as the average paperweight. Thats what happens evert time you price the little guy out of the market.

I still remember when I started this thread I asked for everyone to be respectful and civil toward each other when responding. That concept seems to have gone out the window.

Well, not always but more times than I want to admit. One or two of those may have even been me. You know what they say about prodding the bear.

If we can agree to discuss this matter respectfully that is great. If anyone wants an argument go somewhere else because i am not listening to any more rude comments.
Play Fair guys
Rob

Back