When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike Design Lineage - A Discussion

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Updated version, applied some feedback; still haven't incorporated cycletr

View attachment 1801393ucks, though...
I like it! I'd put the cycle truck off the roadster.

The Iver Johnson reinforced "Heavy Service" roadster shows up in the 1912 Catalog. "This model carrying a heavy load will take a pounding from city streets". By 1915 the Heavy Service is described as "Rugged Machine specifically built for heaviest city work, as a store delivery or for construction men who carry tools" and a front (basket) and rear carrier advertised with it. They continue to push it into the 20's with messenger and delivery added to the description....

Not sure what the real purpose of this drill is but all pretty subjective. For example I’d argue the influence of the early motorbike frames comes from early motorcycles certainly not the TOC bike you depict. The Stingray, to me, was more of a disruptive design and I don’t really think has a line connecting it to anything before it. My chart would be pretty simple: Velocipede-Ordinary-Safety. Everything else are just variations to me.

I’m not sure what the “real purpose” of the last post was, but subjectively I like discussing how bikes developed.

The Stingray is an oddball, inspired by Chopper motorcycles right? The part that is strange is how it is clearly recognized as the bike So Cal kids used to make the first “motocross” dirt racing bikes from and those bikes developed quickly into VERY different looking BMX bikes. Is there more similarities between Stingrays and BMX bikes that I don’t see? That branch of the tree is very different than other bikes and has lasted for decades. @Mr. Monkeyarms is currently addicted to these bikes and just recently fell under their spell. Its not a passing fad….

I like it! I'd put the cycle truck off the roadster.

The Iver Johnson reinforced "Heavy Service" roadster shows up in the 1912 Catalog. "This model carrying a heavy load will take a pounding from city streets". By 1915 the Heavy Service is described as "Rugged Machine specifically built for heaviest city work, as a store delivery or for construction men who carry tools" and a front (basket) and rear carrier advertised with it. They continue to push it into the 20's with messenger and delivery added to the description....

I tend to agree - the delivery/carrier bikes generally branching off of the roadster. The only issue I have is that the "cycle truck" name tends to be associated with the Schwinn model, though the Schwinn Cycletruck was relatively late to the game. Other companies were making carrier bicycles before Schwinn was, and certainly the style was common in Britain before Schwinn started its model. So I think your assessment is good, though I like "carrier" or "delivery" bike better just because everyone thinks "Schwinn" when they hear "cycle truck". Admittedly this might be a bit nit-picky.

Reactions: Miq
Interesting thread. Form and function. Seems early times, Europe Asia design focused more transport utility function, commuting, delivery. USA seem focus more leisure fun factor, cruisers, bmx, mtb etc.

I’m not sure what the “real purpose” of the last post was, but subjectively I like discussing how bikes developed.

The Stingray is an oddball, inspired by Chopper motorcycles right? The part that is strange is how it is clearly recognized as the bike So Cal kids used to make the first “motocross” dirt racing bikes from and those bikes developed quickly into VERY different looking BMX bikes. Is there more similarities between Stingrays and BMX bikes that I don’t see? That branch of the tree is very different than other bikes and has lasted for decades. @Mr. Monkeyarms is currently addicted to these bikes and just recently fell under their spell. Its not a passing fad….
Just saying a hundred people do this exercise you likely get 100 different solutions.

More like, BMX ➡️ Mountain Bike !
Probably not untrue, but the first commercial mountain bike was designed and produced by Specialized, who mainly focused on road cycling and, therein, the manufacture and design seems to follow road bikes of the time.

Over time, mountain cycling was likely influenced by BMX culture, but its inception seemed to be separate.

Like most family trees it starts at the roots. Start with the basic bike design for riding gravel/paved streets as basic transportation. Then we like to see where else we can ride them. Off road, up & down mountain sides, rough roads, off cliffs, etc. When things break humans try to build it stronger for rough conditions, windy conditions, steep conditions, etc. Then morph/refine a design that excels for certain conditions. So many ways to have fun on a bike, so many great bikes to have different kinds of fun.🤓

Like most family trees it starts at the roots. Start with the basic bike design for riding gravel/paved streets as basic transportation. Then we like to see where else we can ride them. Off road, up & down mountain sides, rough roads, off cliffs, etc. When things break humans try to build it stronger for rough conditions, windy conditions, steep conditions, etc. Then morph/refine a design that excels for certain conditions. So many ways to have fun on a bike, so many great bikes to have different kinds of fun.🤓
I really like the idea of a family tree, or evolutionary paths. I don't think this is subjective really, as most specific types or designs have specifically lifted features from other preceding designs, although my visuals are likely simplifications. Appreciate all the input and thoughts!

Back