Bike Flights/FedEx Damage :(

This ad disappears when logged in

GTV

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 23, 2011
A, A
Hello all, long time no see!

I will start a project thread on this bike but first I wanted to share my first experience with Bike Flights.

My sister sent this old Elgin to me (in Seattle) so I could do a mechanical restoration on it for her. She had the bike disassembled and packed by a bike shop in Marblehead, Mass. It arrived to me today, I opened it up about 2 hours ago.
8D525B2E-53FC-40FD-AEBD-F05DE702426E.png

In my opinion the bike shop did an "ok" job, not great, not to the level of detail and understanding that the rest of us have on this forum. But not terrible either, it could have been a lot worse.

But unfortunately the old girl did not arrive unscathed.
F9F5F14A-9A2B-4F23-B3BB-8FFFB0DC0DD6.jpeg

My heart just sank :(
CF9E50D5-E159-4BF3-83B6-23687B7BC447.jpeg

The only broken piece I could find.
5410ABE1-1C62-4666-A8D3-7ABB87B8E2C4.jpeg

We're both pretty gutted. #1 I'm hoping that someone on here has an original paint green shroud they are willing to part with. #2 I'm hoping that the insurance my sister paid for will cover the damage.
660000AE-7083-4A4C-AA14-24216A93E772.jpeg

Has anyone experienced this with bike flights before? How did it go? Any recommendations? Sincerely appreciate your help!

bikebozo

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 1, 2015
Winter Garden, United States
Bike flights has always been good to me , they might want the whole bike ,to make an insurance claim . It is a good company , with cyclist , ownership , good luck with your , situation .
430387_3214509476859_344168727_n.jpg

ADReese

Mar 18, 2016
Spokane, United States
I had some damage and missing parts on a Panther that went through bikeflights. I made a claim with the purchased insurance and was treated very well. I documented the damage and the replacement costs. They paid out quickly and I was able to salvage the transaction with the buyer of my bike. Bikeflights is a great company. Fedex, a little more frustrating lol.

Resized_20180304_173054.jpg

1817cent

Oct 18, 2016
Ellensburg Washington
I shipped a bike to PA and during shipping the rear carrier was bent. They paid the claim right to the buyers paypal account. All i had to do was submit the claim electronically with the buyers pictures and the claim was paid in 2 days.

GTV

Jun 23, 2011
A, A
Thanks guys.

So it sounds like bike flights is a stand up company. That's good. Exactly how do we move forward with this though? How is the value of a destroyed 80 year old original paint part calculated? My sister already sent pictures of the damage to them, I want to be reimbursed fairly so I can try to replace it with one in good original condition.

Saving Tempest

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Feb 6, 2012
Earth (Middle)
I've never had a broken bike, not from Fedex/Bikeflights or UPS. That covers Tempest, Rosa, Darla, Tess, Beryl, Two Columbias, a Huffy, '95 Schwinn frame for my relatives, the Schwinn project in the shed and I would hope the Flightliner frame coming. My advice is always if you want it there intact, do it yourself or have it done your way (or skip it).

GTV

Jun 23, 2011
A, A
My advice is always if you want it there intact, do it yourself or have it done your way (or skip it).
Unfortunately that wasn't an option.

When it is completed I'll ship it back to her and I will pack it myself carefully.

blincoe

I live for the CABE
Jul 10, 2012
Watts, Los Angeles, CA, United States
With what I am seeing is the bicycle shop’s fault. Poor packing and I have seen this several times with “ bicycle shops “

Sorry to hear

GTV

Jun 23, 2011
A, A
Bike Flights wants an estimated damage repair cost. Does anyone have an idea of how much this could be?

kunzog

I live for the CABE
May 22, 2006
Low Country South Carolina
oldbike.homestead.com
Sorry that happened but you really cant blame the bike shop. Most bike shops nowadays dont understand antiques and their value. I did see right off that it looks like the box was too short to protect the front shroud but they did use some bubble wrap and they did box the bike for shipment. Hope you get a fair settlement and find a replacement shroud.

Euphman06

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Aug 17, 2011
Can't ship those with the shroud on.... we all know it, bike shops probably not. It's not your fault, but next time let the shop know they have to remove the shroud. I had a claim with bikeflights awhile ago and I remember it going pretty well. They are bike people and genuinely not trying to screw us out of money.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture