When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike Flights/FedEx Damage :(

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GTV

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello all, long time no see!

I will start a project thread on this bike but first I wanted to share my first experience with Bike Flights.

My sister sent this old Elgin to me (in Seattle) so I could do a mechanical restoration on it for her. She had the bike disassembled and packed by a bike shop in Marblehead, Mass. It arrived to me today, I opened it up about 2 hours ago.
8D525B2E-53FC-40FD-AEBD-F05DE702426E.png

In my opinion the bike shop did an "ok" job, not great, not to the level of detail and understanding that the rest of us have on this forum. But not terrible either, it could have been a lot worse.

But unfortunately the old girl did not arrive unscathed.
F9F5F14A-9A2B-4F23-B3BB-8FFFB0DC0DD6.jpeg

My heart just sank :(
CF9E50D5-E159-4BF3-83B6-23687B7BC447.jpeg

The only broken piece I could find.
5410ABE1-1C62-4666-A8D3-7ABB87B8E2C4.jpeg

We're both pretty gutted. #1 I'm hoping that someone on here has an original paint green shroud they are willing to part with. #2 I'm hoping that the insurance my sister paid for will cover the damage.
660000AE-7083-4A4C-AA14-24216A93E772.jpeg

Has anyone experienced this with bike flights before? How did it go? Any recommendations? Sincerely appreciate your help!

Bike flights has always been good to me , they might want the whole bike ,to make an insurance claim . It is a good company , with cyclist , ownership , good luck with your , situation .
430387_3214509476859_344168727_n.jpg

I had some damage and missing parts on a Panther that went through bikeflights. I made a claim with the purchased insurance and was treated very well. I documented the damage and the replacement costs. They paid out quickly and I was able to salvage the transaction with the buyer of my bike. Bikeflights is a great company. Fedex, a little more frustrating lol.

Resized_20180304_173054.jpg

I shipped a bike to PA and during shipping the rear carrier was bent. They paid the claim right to the buyers paypal account. All i had to do was submit the claim electronically with the buyers pictures and the claim was paid in 2 days.

Thanks guys.

So it sounds like bike flights is a stand up company. That's good. Exactly how do we move forward with this though? How is the value of a destroyed 80 year old original paint part calculated? My sister already sent pictures of the damage to them, I want to be reimbursed fairly so I can try to replace it with one in good original condition.

I've never had a broken bike, not from Fedex/Bikeflights or UPS. That covers Tempest, Rosa, Darla, Tess, Beryl, Two Columbias, a Huffy, '95 Schwinn frame for my relatives, the Schwinn project in the shed and I would hope the Flightliner frame coming. My advice is always if you want it there intact, do it yourself or have it done your way (or skip it).

Back