When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike from the Dead's Freshly-Exhumed Finds (Everything I've dug up since 6/15/21)

-
Yes, the stroke is how long the arms are. Measured from crank centerline to pedal centerline. Most are 6.5" but "modern" one piece cranks sometimes show up as 7" and even little longer. They usually have the length in millimeters cast into the crank between the threads as far as Ive seen. 25mm = 1 inch.
I almost bought a 185mm at the salvage the other day but I really dont need it, just unusual. I like a 7" stroke on my lightweights.
Ok, cool. I'll check and see if there's a number on the crank.

Yes, the stroke is how long the arms are. Measured from crank centerline to pedal centerline. Most are 6.5" but "modern" one piece cranks sometimes show up as 7" and even little longer. They usually have the length in millimeters cast into the crank between the threads as far as Ive seen. 25mm = 1 inch.
I almost bought a 185mm at the salvage the other day but I really dont need it, just unusual. I like a 7" stroke on my lightweights.
Ok, I just looked, and it has "JS175" in the middle of the crank. So if that's millimeters, I guess that means 6.889 inches.

Thanks! Yeah, that's one of the things that attracted me to the Falcon. Good luck finding one! These bikes apparently don't pop up for sale often. I saw one other version of this bike on Marketplace, but it was... well, it had a number of good ideas for modifications, but every one of those ideas was executed poorly. That, and the seller wanted $800 for it. Still, if you can find an example for a good price, let me know! We could all join a thread for these obscure AMF bikes!

That'd be pretty interesting if that crank/sprocket combo turns out to be a very sought-after piece! I'll leave that piece alone for now, just in case the lettering adds value to it. Longer stroke? Is that the crank arm length, or what?
Yep, the 26"bikes have longer crank arms than the 20"and 24". Those Columbia cranks appear to be the shorter 20" cranks. Take a measurement once and post on here. Razin.

Next up, the Schwinn parts-donor. I've never seen one with this sort of paint scheme before. Is it custom, or just an uncommon option?
View attachment 1430585
View attachment 1430586
View attachment 1430587
View attachment 1430588
View attachment 1430589
View attachment 1430590
View attachment 1430591

I don't know why, but almost every S-2 wheel I've acquired has the original white and black paint covered up with grey primer/paint. Was that just poor man's chrome, or what?
View attachment 1430592

Just looked up the serial Number. Built on August 1st, 1951. Not sure what's up with the dots above the serial number though. They look suspiciously factory...
View attachment 1430593
Yeah poor mans Or Mexican rattle can chrome. What ever you want to call it it's a cheap quick fix for UGLY og paint. Good stuff Maynard.

I decided to change the tubes and tires on the AMFlite Falcon this past weekend, and that gave me a chance to see the underside of the bike and its overall condition. There is hardly ANY rust on the underside of either fender! I mean, I could stick them in Evaporust and it'd look like nothing ever happened here! This bike is arguably the nicest one I've ever bought!
bftd_amflite_falcon_tire_change_1-jpg.jpg

bftd_amflite_falcon_tire_change_3-jpg.jpg

Even the underside of the seat looks clean! This bike was really taken care of!
bftd_amflite_falcon_tire_change_4-jpg.jpg

While there is some rust on the underside of the frame, just like with the rest of the bike, it's very minimal, and it just helps to show the bike's age.
bftd_amflite_falcon_tire_change_5-jpg.jpg

bftd_amflite_falcon_tire_change_6-jpg.jpg

bftd_amflite_falcon_tire_change_7-jpg.jpg

Unfortunately, due to one of the original lock washers, I'm not sure what the serial number ultimately says. I don't know if that's a "K," an "H," or an "R" up front. That might be an "I" that comes after it, though. Does anyone here know how to I.D. AMF bikes?
bftd_amflite_falcon_tire_change_2-jpg.jpg

Here's what the bike looks like with fresh tires and tubes. I used whitewall tires because I already had them. I was saving them for another project, but since progress has been slow on that one, and this one actually rolls, I figured I'd just use those tires on this bike. I've got to say, they really add to the look of the Falcon! So much so, in fact, that I'm not sure I want to turn it into a 26 inch muscle bike now. This bike is really unique as it is, and the whitewalls just make it look nicer than I could have ever anticipated. All this bike really needs to be fully ridable is a coaster brake service, and a more comfortable seat. I'd still like to explore some non-destructive customizations, but this is already an attractive bike as-is.
bftd_amflite_falcon_tire_change_8-jpg.jpg

bftd_amflite_falcon_tire_change_9-jpg.jpg

What's really funny is that that family, who usually don't care as much about old bikes as I do, really like this bike. I'll show my parents whatever bikes I'm working on, and they're supportive of my hobby, but I know they're just not into it like I am. But then I brought this home, and put some whitewalls on it, and everyone in my family, even my brother, opted to take it for a spin around the cul-de-sac without hesitation! They've all been quite vocal about how much they like this one bike of mine, and I really like that. So, I might just focus on making this bike into a reliable rider for now, and worry about the modifications later.

Back