When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike Geometry and Ride

-
I don't build bikes based on geometry. I'm a collector that rides.its a way to enjoy my parts collection besides just displaying it.to me when dealing with vintage bikes it's trial and error.i don't select frames for their specs.at the speeds they are used at,non of that matters.the only ones the matter as far as handling are the hard tail klunkers or my specialized carbon fiber comp.they are the only bikes ridden at speed.the addition of the suspension fork on the old frames slows the steering as they are longer and relax the steering angle making it steer slower or tracking more stable.longer chainstays make it more stable on steep climbs.shorter,killer wheelies.and of course the frame height should fit the rider.anything beyond that is over thinking it to me when dealing with the bikes I collect.thats just my opinion since you asked.
Thanks @birdzgarage. Love seeing your bikes and the CA hills you bomb with them. Thank you for sharing your experience here and posting so many great pics of your bikes over the years. The fruits of your trial and error are inspiring.

Is geometry really an issue on anything other than high end road bikes?
Even with those the limits to comfort and handling mostly come from a limited range of adjustments. Most middle weight bikes have loads of adjustments.

I'm not certain you've been following along for the past 7 pages... 🤔

I apologize for my comments earlier. I reacted without thinking. This time may I share something more constructive and useful. The is a blog post from a retired English-American frame builder Dave Moulton. He has vast knowledge about frame building and design theory.

Overthinking is an understatement ? For a klunker gee whiz ? Straight forks or ones with a bend, seat height , and handle bar configuration pretty much covers it , it’s a darn bicycle not a land speed record contender - superfluous jargon 🙃

Cool @Thee! Care to explain the effect of any of the three choices you just laid out and why? That’s what we are doing here. And it’s not just klunkers, why are certain bikes set up certain ways to serve certain purposes. We’ve discussed road bikes, mtbs, klunkers, cruisers, and touched on BMX and muscle bikes. You have some really neat BMX style bikes along with your vintage ballooners. How does the construction of the BMX bikes make them suited to BMX riding? I have never owned a BMX bike and don’t have any experience with them.

Cool @Thee! Care to explain the effect of any of the three choices you just laid out and why? That’s what we are doing here. And it’s not just klunkers, why are certain bikes set up certain ways to serve certain purposes. We’ve discussed road bikes, mtbs, klunkers, cruisers, and touched on BMX and muscle bikes. You have some really neat BMX style bikes along with your vintage ballooners. How does the construction of the BMX bikes make them suited to BMX riding? I have never owned a BMX bike and don’t have any experience with them.
In the bike ! Not on the bike ! as someone said ? As one ! It’s a feel thing , body and machine ! You don’t drive a bike ! It’s a part of you or your toast - light nimble and responsive - and power/muscle and gearing

Pretty much it’s take any bike move the seat & maybe bars & f%ckin thrash ! It’s that simple - it’s not the bike it’s the rider ! Sure lots of diff configurations , And building your own is the best ! But Ridable bikes all have the same basic geometry , it’s body position that counts

Back