When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike ID, 29er wheels, other questions....

-

tailhole

I live for the CABE
First of all, thanks in advance for any answers, advice or otherwise...
I recently got this ride online and have some (ok, a bunch) of questions.
1) the guy said it was a 31 thru 34, wasn't sure
2) the cranks, rear morrow hub and internal works are all 1941, wondering if they made this model in '41 or maybe someone made it ridable with '41 parts.
3) I'd like to recreate the look of a 28" wheel, but wanna use 29er wheels & tires because of the avaliblity and I do ride my bikes daily and need readily avalible parts affordably - is this possible?
4) I've seen an old DX running a new rear hub with an old skiptooth sweetheart crank - he/she had used a grinder to "delete" every other tooth on the rear cog. Is this possible? Does it have 'modification limitations' or could this be done with any old rear wheel?
5) my serial number is 44564. Does that help identify it? Like I said, the crank, hub and hub guts all indicate 1941.
6) The badge says 'ELECTRIC' but I haven't found that anywhere in the catalogs, does that ring any bells with anyone??
7) I don't want to know the value of this ride because I never intend to sell it, I just wanna ride ride ride. But for anyone that read this much, it was just under $270 shipped.

And again, gigantic thanks to any and all comments, answers or just readers. I am new to this site, but have been a Schwinner for just about all of my 40 years.

-Scott
!C!mEblwCGk~$(KGrHqIOKogEy+jC)otJBNDpZjli3!~~_3.jpg
!C!mEyOQCWk~$(KGrHqEOKikEzRg0mUBlBNDpbC(Ng!~~_3.jpg
!C!mEblwCGk~$(KGrHqIOKogEy+jC)otJBNDpZjli3!~~_3.jpg
!C!mEyOQCWk~$(KGrHqEOKikEzRg0mUBlBNDpbC(Ng!~~_3.jpg

Based on my limited knowledge of these it looks to be later than 34. Provided they are original, 26" wheels and Chrome fenders would be the primary features that suggest that. However, I'll let others with more experience make that call.

Regarding the 28" wheels to 29". Yes, it is possible. Below are a set of 36h 700c Velocity Blunts laced to vintage hubs. They are in their original black powder coat and pinstripped to look more vintage. Tires are 700c electra Amsterdams and are also available in Black.

5233076472_4887e248b4_z-1.jpg

Nice bike, Enjoy it!

TCN

Last edited:
Back