When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike ID

-

mpierich

On Training Wheels
Hi,

Can anyone help identify this bike? I'd like to fix it up and might need parts. Did it likely have a "tank" on the frame?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
bike1.jpg
bike2.jpg
bike3.jpg
bike4.jpg

Looks like a CWC with a lazy heart chain ring sprocket (24-tooth girls). The seat post clamp looks like a later CWC design, (with the bulge in the middle). The fastener holes in the head tube look like they would accommodate a 2+7/8” CWC head badge. Almost looks like an early frame because the rear forks (or chain stays) are straight and not the curved design (for full size bikes), but even later AMF may have reverted back to the straight tubes. Another tell is the U-shape (or J?) sheet metal (versus round tube) for the seat stay bridge. With the rear drop outs, likely the frame is early post war ~1947-C or so, the serial numbers may yield the date.
What size are the tires/wheels — 24”?
Front fender may be backwards(?).

Last edited:
Looks like a CWC with a lazy heart chain ring sprocket (24-tooth girls). The seat post clamp looks like a later CWC design, (with the bulge in the middle). The fastener holes in the head tube look like they would accommodate a 2+7/8” CWC head badge. Almost looks like an early frame because the rear forks (or chain stays) are straight and not the curved design (for full size bikes), but even later AMF may have reverted back to the straight tubes. Another tell is the U-shape (or J?) sheet metal (versus round tube) for the seat stay bridge. With the rear drop outs, likely the frame is early post war ~1947-C or so, the serial numbers may yield the date.
What size are the tires/wheels — 24”?
Front fender may be backwards(?).
Thanks!
Rims are 20.5" O.D. The fender could be on backwards.

I found a number on the bottom of the frame: H74791 followed by a large space, then a "O" or possibly a "C". Does that help?

Yes, the o/c is likely a CWC symbol of a letter “C” with a small “w” inside. Check out the CWC serial number thread for when the “H” prefix shows up. It is at the top of the “classic” bicycles forum.

Last edited:
I'm going to go with 1948 Cleveland Welding Co. (CWC) like Archie said. This is a juvenile bike and I don't believe it was offered with a tank. V/r Shawn

I'm going to go with 1948 Cleveland Welding Co. (CWC) like Archie said. This is a juvenile bike and I don't believe it was offered with a tank. V/r Shawn
Thanks! That's right according to the list.
Any way to tell what model/name goes with it? I.e. "Roadmaster", etc.

Back