When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike rack transporting question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
Is the lower crossbar safe to use on a rack?

The rack should be safe for the load but if the bike hangs low you could catch the tires entering or leaving a steep driveway. Your truck rides pretty high and the rack looks like its got some adjustment, but something to consider.
My 2 rack style on my car scrapes steep gas stations & city curb driveways if you don't angle them. It's usually fine unless you're hauling something custom/strange. It's made with dual angled adjusting posts; just an ol'cheap rack but for $12 used it has saved me a lot of hassles getting bikes. Hauls my Nirve Switchblade but it's a task strapping it properly since the rack isn't meant for an uncommon bike.

Mine is older than this as it uses set screws vs the predrilled holes. The bottom of the hitch scrubs

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I wasn’t sure if my method could damage the bike frame. My Tundra stands a bit high so no chance of the bike riding low.
I really like this carrier. Takes about a couple of minutes to slide into the trailer hitch and thread the cross bolt on and it’s done.

I have been wondering what would be the best rack for 2 Balloon Tire bikes that are on the heavy side? Suggestions, as I would hate to have a rack fail and a bike destroyed?

I have been wondering what would be the best rack for 2 Balloon Tire bikes that are on the heavy side? Suggestions, as I would hate to have a rack fail and a bike destroyed?
My style similar to the pic I posted I have hauled a Husky HD trike on. "Ghetto" but it got it home. It could use some modifications due to sometimes being a hassle but they're had pretty cheap new. Standard bikes mount to the outward cushioned forks, straps under the fenders where applicable, & that's usually it. The mods I would make are; pool noodle padding for any movement on the lower bb area or a T'd cross brace. The rubber straps are a pain to undo when you have to stretch them super tight & or in the cold weather.

Simple engineering mods. Trust me you wouldn't easily steal 1 of my junkers while in the store without being noticed. Hahaha

First thing to look at is the weight rating. Do lots of research on what’s out there and is better to go with a higher weight rated one for safety. The trailer hitch type like mine takes a couple of minutes to install and remove from my truck.

Is the lower crossbar safe to use on a rack?

View attachment 1372350
That's gonna rub away the paint right where the frame sits on the carrier, so I wouldn't dare use something like that. You need a hitch mounted bike carrier that secures it by the wheels. Good ones aren't cheap, but you might get lucky and find one on CL, Offer-Up or at a yard sale like I did for $40.

Back