When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike Therapy!

-

Phrank Vee

Finally riding a big boys bike
Apologies for this rant. I have been playing with bikes for 6 years. Not a lot of time, i know. Im always happy about learning about vintage bikes, and have been addicted. To be honest, i decided after today all i want is to collect them, and ride them. Attempting to fix, manipulate, fabricate, bend, rip apart, adjust is just not my thing. Im 99% done with this 1950 Roadmaster.

Last part is the chain. LSS...Chain is too short. Bought some skip tooth links to add, that didn't work. Taking links off old and attempting to add to current thats not working. Local bike shop didnt have a clue. I dont own a vice, I should, I know!
I feel like ghost riding this bike into traffic and calling it a day is my frustration level!

Should i just buy a 54” skip tooth? Is that the correct size for a 26” Mens Roadmaster? Do i need special links to attach? What do i need to do to be finished with this?
Any help, sale of, advice, i will take it.
Thanks Cabers/Bike Therapists!

Skiptooth links and skiptooth master links should work. Some of my bikes have like 4 on em. ) LOL. Good luck.

I don't know that much about skip tooth chain bicycles, but I do know about frustration when working with some bike projects! Step back and walk away from it until you're calm and thinking straight. I would start by checking the teeth on the chaingring and the rear cog. Is the distance the same from tooth tip to tooth tip. Put the kickstand up and, without the chain installed, spin the crank arm and check the alignment of the ring. If it isn't spinning straight, true it by tapping on it with a rubber hammer. Check to see if the rear wheel is in the frame straight. If it is, take a long enough staight edge, like a metal ruler, and check the chainline from the chainring to the rear cog. If everything checks out, look at the chain, clean it, and check for stiff or bent links. Slip the chain over the chainring and make sure it is riding on the teeth correctly. Do the same with the rear cog. At this point, check to see if the teeth are the same thickness on the chainring and cog. With the wheel in the proper position in the frame dropouts, you should have 3/8" of play at the center between the sprockets. I hope this helps.

Back