When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike Trainers

-
Can you share what model you have?

It's an old Cycle Ops. You can see the slot I believe was made for QR handles, but it's fine for SA chains.

1547867790392.png

Grind a channel for the little chain to pass through and call it a day!!! Check your local CL, there’s always trainers in the bike parts section.
I kinda liked this work around, but...the slot throws off the ability to precisely adjust the linkage (visually) as before. Probably not a deal breaker but it is not as clean a solution as I first thought.

Oh, are using this for adjusting the shifting? If that's the case, you're better off with a traditional bike stand or the old upside-down-on-the-floor method. You could use it as confirmation instead of taking it outside to ride it as it will put a load on the system very much the same way, you'll just have to demount it every time you want to adjust (this is what I did).

I run a 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix 10-speed on my wife's trainer sometimes. I put a modern-profile quick release skewer on the rear wheel in order to get the bike to work with the trainer. When the riding season starts again, I put the old skewer back on the bike. Her trainer is a wind trainer, which is very noisy. I put headphones on when I ride and listen to an audiobook or watch a video on my tablet.

The main reason I stop riding in the winter is road salt. Cold does not bother me, and I'll ride with the temperature well below freezing without a problem. The issue is that road treatment brine and road salt (two different things) will destroy a steel bike in short order. So when the salts go down, I resort to the trainer until the roads are clean again.

Back