When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike Transporting Ideas

-

Ernbar

I live for the CABE
Besides laying them on a side on a blanket, how do you guys transport the heavier bikes specially tank ones on a pick up bed?
Been thinking of making some type of portable stand and tie downs.

1618582670334.png

Google DIY Truck Bed Bike Rack

I have made 1 like the 1st pic to sit on concrete, I didn't have heavy vintage bikes in it but it held a Moondog which was on the heavier side, an aluminum Giant cruiser, & 2 more box store bikes. The heavier you build it the stronger it is & use decking screws. Overkill planning vs bikes tipping over. May have to line them up front, rear, & front depending on wide bars etc. I did but 4 bikes so if you do 2 bikes you can space them accordingly based on your bed side widths

I use a tow hitch mounted Swagman rack for my bikes. I will say I know a guy who uses opposing ratchet straps to stand the bike up in the bed. He does the same with a motorcycles and dirt bikes. Basically the straps oppose one another and keep the bike standing in the back of the truck. It seems to work pretty well.

You can always add tie hooks to your bed floor as well
If you don't have any & want to go the strap route. I would suggest a wider washer under the bed area, on top to help prevent ripping the bed floor & pull through in case you torque too hard carrying other stuff. Tin can vehicles Now Days:neutral:

Donchristes is the best way for one bike I drive 80 on the interstate and hit giant bumps and it’s not going any where only had a problem one time when the guy aired up the front tire end it had a slow leak so when I got home I had a little slack in my tie downs so watch that

Back