When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bikeflights FED EX

-
Using Bikeflights is a nightmare when shipping to and from Canada.
Service from them for international order is mediocre.
I have actually been waiting for them to send me the shipping paperwork for 4 days now!!!
When I called them, they tell me that their "international team" is looking at the orders on a first come, first serve basis.
So my question was : "How many people work in your " international team"?
And to that he would rather not answer.
I don't know what they have to look at for so long? It's not like UPS or Fedex analyses every single orders for 4 days!!!

And on the last two bike that I shipped, it was actually cheaper to go directly with UPS.com or Fedex.com than to use their "service".
So what are they good for? No real benefit to use them. They probably are hoping that bike shipper don't shop elsewhere.

I will not use Bikeflights anymore. #Bikeflights.com

Using Bikeflights is a nightmare when shipping to and from Canada.
Service from them for international order is mediocre.
I have actually been waiting for them to send me the shipping paperwork for 4 days now!!!
When I called them, they tell me that their "international team" is looking at the orders on a first come, first serve basis.
So my question was : "How many people work in your " international team"?
And to that he would rather not answer.
I don't know what they have to look at for so long? It's not like UPS or Fedex analyses every single orders for 4 days!!!

And on the last two bike that I shipped, it was actually cheaper to go directly with UPS.com or Fedex.com than to use their "service".
So what are they good for? No real benefit to use them. They probably are hoping that bike shipper don't shop elsewhere.

I will not use Bikeflights anymore. #Bikeflights.com
That said, shipping to Canada is easy if you are able to fill out a form or 2 ( usually 1). I have had 2 ( actually more/all good) experiences with Bikeflights. One guy didn't fill out the right forms, so it was a GONG show/still got the bike. 2nd guy did it right, and 100%. I mean, we share a border. How hard can it be? It baffles me. I ship Internationally ( Ebay) all the time, mostly to the U.S., never a problem, but I take the time to do it right. Cheers, Bob

Most of us Texans believe the Red River is the border that should be defended.

Canadian customs is a barricade to both post and travel. They're hugely protectionist. For the post, they're doing their damndest to collect import taxes. If you're going there on business, bring your fly rod so you look like a tourist (and if you can, fish the Bow River while you're there...).
The only way for an alien on contract work to get through Customs in Canada is for their client to file with the government that their skill is not available from any Canadian citizen.
(Customs must have that form waiting on your arrival)

As far as post goes, US International postage is outrageously priced. Coming into the US from other countries always costs half of what it costs sending out international from here. .UK Royal Airmail is the best deal in the world.

As far as bike flights - looks like they did their job and accomplished your goal. With siim to none other options, they're still the choice - try complaining to USPS or UPS - good luck finding a way in.

Last edited:

Canadian customs is a barricade to both post and travel. They're hugely protectionist. For the post, they're doing their damndest to collect import taxes. If you're going there on business, bring your fly rod so you look like a tourist.
The only way for an alien to work contract in Canada is for their client to file with the government that their skill is not available from any Canadian citizen.

As far as post goes, US International postage is outrageously priced. Coming into the US from other countries always costs half of what it costs sending out international from here. .UK Royal Airmail is the best deal in the world.

As far as bike flights - looks like they did their job and accomplished your goal. With siim to none other options, they're still the choice - try complaining to USPS or UPS - good luck finding a way in.

Let's not get into the politics of who is better between Canadians and Americans. It's not my point. I am just sharing my recent experience with Bikeflights, nothing more.
On a side note, I lived in Texas for years, and I know that nothing is bigger and better than Texas to a Texan. Texans are proud Americans and I respect that. Nothing but big love for Texas.

stating facts from long experience about how Canadian Customs work is not politics
Let's not extrapolate facts into attitude - I'm quite sure I didn't quote you out of context anywhere.

Likewise, delays in products coming from Canada is US Customs, but all my Blackspire pedals, including returns for rebuild have been here within one week. At $16 US, Canadian postage coming this way is $9 US cheaper than sending the other way.

Last edited:
Canadian customs is a barricade to both post and travel. They're hugely protectionist. For the post, they're doing their damndest to collect import taxes. If you're going there on business, bring your fly rod so you look like a tourist.
The only way for an alien to work contract in Canada is for their client to file with the government that their skill is not available from any Canadian citizen.

BTW. Exact same problems the other way around. Maybe even harder.

stating facts from long experience about how Canadian Customs work is not politics
Let's not extrapolate facts into attitude - I'm quite sure I didn't quote you out of context anywhere.

Likewise, delays in products coming from Canada is US Customas, but all my Blackspire pedals, including returns for rebuild have been here within one week. At $16 US, Canadian postage coming this way is $9 US cheaper than sending the other way.

Ok. Sorry.

feeling Avis much? :cool: (we're no. 2 and we try harder)

btw, Canada is a great place to shop for titanium - they mine (and refine) most of it on this side of the world.
http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Titanium_Bolts.html

d1YRYm5.jpg

Last edited:

Canadian customs is a barricade to both post and travel. They're hugely protectionist. For the post, they're doing their damndest to collect import taxes. If you're going there on business, bring your fly rod so you look like a tourist (and if you can, fish the Bow River while you're there...).
The only way for an alien on contract work to get through Customs in Canada is for their client to file with the government that their skill is not available from any Canadian citizen.
(Customs must have that form waiting on your arrival)

U.S. Customs agents are equally protective on Canadians entering the U.S. ( and staying/thus taking a job an American could fill) or bringing anything across the line that may be "sold" and taking away that source of item income as solely American. I "get that". Canada Customs taxes small time/hobby imports as a tax grab whereas the U.S. does not. It's all a game.

Many Americans are Leary about Canada simply because they were not educated on the country in school. That's not their fault. We on the other hand were taught American geography and history in large doses. I'm proud of what I know about the U.S.A. and have traveled quite a bit of your fine country. If I had a dime for every misconception that we ALL live in Igloos and drive snow mobiles year round would buy me a barge full of Elgin Bluebirds!! I have met dozens of Americans over the years, and am proud to be friends with my American neighbours. We really are not "that" different. One of the many sad similarities is bureaucracy, and how many "pencil pushers" it takes to screw on a bicycle pedal. Too many, on too much inflated wages, all b/s'ing their way into justifying their existence.

As far as postage goes, The U.S. government subsidized USPS for eons, keeping postal rates far lower than Canada Post, especially International rates. That eventually came back to bite them and prices went up somewhat. Canada post is hurting too for obvious reasons. Times are a changing, and frankly I see good old fashioned quality/ value and service and social skills going down the tube. All I can say is I'm glad I grew up in a simpler era ( I'm 61) where those values flourished. I see lots of outstanding young people today ( many on the CABE) who are proud and hard working and honest, and still believe in those ideas and lifestyle while incorporating the new views and changes. My hats off to them.

At the end of the day, having a hobby is important. I think it is a good outlet for "character" building. Just look at all the great ideas and opinions just the CABE alone generates. More important is remember to listen to others, be flexible and open minded. We don't have to agree with everyone, but let them state their opinion, and agree to disagree if it comes to that. Don't take things too serious, laugh and smile every day. Respect your elders. Ride an old bike. Ha!!! I'm such an old windbag. Cheers...Bob

Bobby Nash.JPG

It would only be equal if US Customs had authority to stop you at the border solely because you are entering for business consulting.
Taxes are a chosen source of income, not really a game. US Import duties are really lax and with a pretty large threshold before anyone cares.
Canadians as a whole are acutely aware of their import duties on just about all goods. Most Americans don't have a clue what ours are, because we never have to deal with them.
Again, generally facts that can't be misconstrued. Do you think maybe widespread American misconstructions about Canadians is in itself a misconstruction?

Back