When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bikes and Accessories Made in Ohio

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Funny you post up about your Dad bragging about all the things made in Ohio..........he's right - and bikes are only just a small part of it !!!
At dinner tonight I brought up sort of the same thing........all the important people that came from Ohio.........and that list is incredible.
Lets just start off with 8 Presidents, Thomas Edison, Wright Bros, John Glenn and Neil Armstrong, Paul Brown and Woody Hayes and the birthplace of football, Steven Spielberg, Jack Nicklaus, Cy Young, Paul Newman, Edie Rickenbacker, General George Custer, LeBron James, Pete Rose, Clark Gable......and the list goes on and on and on.
Not only are these names all huge, but they are the best of the best, best at what they did and do - whether an inventor, actor, producer, coach, basketball player, golfer - you name it. There may be others bigger, fancier with more glitz and glam but when it comes down to it Ohio ranks right at the top for historical people, first, bests within that list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_from_Ohio

http://www.stuffaboutstates.com/ohio/people.htm

Since this is obviously bicycle related I'll get back on track....... I'll throw the big boy out there..........Flying Merkel
I live 5 miles from Middletown, OH it would be incredible to find one of these.........and probably just a dream.
Gendron was built in Toledo where I grew up - that would also be a kool one to find and have.

View attachment 449547
View attachment 449566
Thank you @Kato
My dad wasn't talking about "just" bikes either. He passed away long before I grew in my passion for bicycles and finding out all the things made there.
Pic below of my dad holding me up on my 1st bike for the picture...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415567044.567230.jpg

Mom took a recent pic of me on my CWC Western Flyer Heavy Duty bike in the same back yard.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456188402.058658.jpg

Noah Stutzman.....Stutzman Wheel Shop 330-897-1391 Address: 33656 Cr 12 Baltic, OH 43804.

My Mother and a good portion of my relatives. My grandfathers Jewellry Stores ( Fords Jewellers )

Edward James Lobdell (1859-1925) was one of the biggest employers in Marietta Ohio. Looks like he started the plant in Marietta in 1890. It looks like the plant was located on the Muskingum Riverbank and was about four stories high on Montgomery Street. They produced hundreds of thousands of rims and Chain guards. They also had another plant there they produced wooden handlebars. Looks like he was a big supporter the the bicycle club there as well - reflecting his name. The Lobdell bicycle club.

There was a huge fire at the rim factory December 1st 1897 at the plant that threatened the 2nd biggest employer. He had the city where he wanted them and tried to take advantage of his position by threatening to leave and relocate in another city.

In 1901 E J Lobdell who had operated various manufacturing enterprises in Massachusetts and Ohio relocated his business to Onaway in order to be closer to the Lumber which his American Wood Rim Co relied upon

American Wood Rim plant.png
Marietta Cycling Club 1900 at boathouse Muskingum Pk.jpg

The Kuntz Bending Co - Cleveland OH
Theodore Kundtz - He is best Known for his sewing machine cabinets & Cleveland's White Sewing Machines. Though he had many many other interests.

Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 17.46.34.jpg

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 17.19.58.jpg

Robert Fillmore Kerr, was the senior partner of the most important manufacturing industry in his home-village. The nucleus from which the present extensive manufacturing and milling interests of the Kerr Brothers at Hicksville sprang was formed in 1874 by Joseph D., Thomas W. and Robert Fillmore Kerr, where they began the manufacture of handles. In addition to their own labor they then employed only one man, but under careful and skillful management the business steadily and gradually increased, until it now consists of three distinct plants - one for the manufacture of agricultural implement handles, broom handles, bicycle rims, pike and tent poles, cant-hook handles, and many other specialties, occupying two large buildings and five warehouses, the work of which gives employment to from thirty-five to fifty men. Another plant is styled the "Buckeye Furniture Company," which occupies two large buildings in which are employed from twenty-five to thirty-five men. while the third plant consists of a planing and saw mill, which gives employment to twenty men. The firm has undergone several changes in ownership since its establishment, but for the past ten years or more Robert Fillmore Kerr and his brother-in-law, E. W. Crook, have been the sole owners, though it still retains the firm name of "Kerr Brothers," under whom the business has assumed its present large proportions, and is now the pride of the village and surrounding country, and the support of many families.
The senior partner, Robert Fillmore Kerr, was born at Middletown, Holmes county, Feb. 19, 1851, and was six years of age when brought by his parents to Hicksville; here he passed his young days in attending the village schools and in assisting on his father's farm adjoining the corporation. He inherited the studious traits of the German strain in his blood, and employed much of his time in study even when going to and from work, studying over problems and orally repeating texts, with the sole object of disciplining his mind. By close application and individual effort out of school, he acquired a valuable part of his education and became one of the best read and posted men on current topics in this section of the country. Later, in the way of mental drill and of acquiring additional knowledge, he taught school near Hicksville for three winters. He also further prepared himself for usefulness in the world by becoming a member of a religious society, uniting with the Methodist Church when about sixteen years of age. Thus thoroughly equipped morally and mentally, young Kerr was prepared, when only twenty-five years of age, with his brothers to establish and direct what developed into a vast business in after years, and of which the senior member of the firm has been the controlling and directing spirit for many yeas. Although occupied continually with the many affairs of his large business, Mr. Kerr has found time to give attention to the interests of his Church, and during his thirty years' membership he has served nearly all of that period, either as trustee or class leader, and for the past fifteen years he has been the popular superintendent of its Sunday school. In politics he was a Republican until the organization of the Prohibition party, is now an uncompromising temperance advocate and has been identified with every movement for the suppression of the liquor traffic, devoting time, labor and money to that end. On Dec. 1, 1881, he was married to Amanda J. Otis, who died Apr. 21, 1885, without issue, and on Jan. 4, 1894, he was married to Elizabeth J. Banks. By this union there are two children: Robert Wendell, born Dec. 15, 1894, and Modonna Elizabeth, born July 31, 1896. In 1879-80 Mr. Kerr lived in Chicago, where he established an agency for the handling of the products of the firm's factory; with this exception he has for a period of forty years been a constant resident of Hicksville. The firm, in addition to the other large interests, owns three brick business blocks in the city and other property. Their great success may be attributed to good business judgment, industry, integrity, and energy, a happy combination possessed by the firm.

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 12.14.47.png

After a fire burned his business in Chillicothe, John F. Waddell loaded his family on a B&O train and moved to the little town of Greenfield. Little did he know how that move would affect his new hometown. One of his sons, John M. Waddell, would later begin the John M. Waddell Company, later known as the Waddell Wooden Ware Works, makers of wooden products that would be sold all across the country.

Some of the first products that Waddell manufactured were wood rims & wood bicycle parts ....he also made coffee grinders and rat traps! Later, the company expanded their products to include egg testers, hammocks cash registers, discount wheels, games and even phonographs. The final products and the most lucrative were store showcases and post office furniture. The showcase line was the main line for Waddell until 1986 when the company was sold to Ghent Manufacturing of Lebanon, who continues production in Greenfield today.

They also made traps and even an egg x-ray machine....

WaddellKodakRatTrap.jpg
WaddellXrayEggTester.jpg

Back