When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bikes for tall people.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Stinky_Sullivan

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I just bought my son an old Murray balloon tire bike with 26" wheels. I tried riding it and could barely manage. I'm 6' tall. My knees almost hit the handle bars.

Did anyone make a long frame bicycle. If the seat on this bike was about 6" farther back or so, it would be fine.

If you're looking at 26 inch wheel bikes, you would ideally want a larger frame, maybe 23-24 inch range. For taller people I suggest a Raleigh Sports 23 inch frame, but not everyone wants an English-type bike. Mead and Schwinn both had tall frame models going back into the balloon era, though these are usually 20-22 inch range, so still may be a bit cramped for you at 6 feet. I also had an Elgin (Westfield made) with a 21 inch frame at one time, so that might work ok too, if you can find one. However, they'll be better than the usual 18-20 inch range, which will feel small to you probably. I guess I'd look for an Elgin, Westfield/Columbia, Mead or Schwinn tall frame if you don't want an English-type bike.

Another thing that might help you is to have an "L" seatpost..........turn the L backwards, mount the seat and you'll have an extra 4 or 5 inches of knee room.

Get ape hangers and a banana seat to sit way back on, no need to worry about knees slapping bars anymore!;) But seriously I'm 5'10 and find CWC built bikes pretty comfy. I've had 48 Columbia that I had problems with the seemingly shorter(length wise) frame and not having enough knee room. Hell I can sit down and ride my 24 inch CWC with a banana seat.

Another thing that might help you is to have an "L" seatpost..........turn the L backwards, mount the seat and you'll have an extra 4 or 5 inches of knee room.

That had occurred to me. I'll have to pull the Lucky 7 off another bike I have and see how it fits the Murray. If it doesn't, I'll have one made.

A long reach road bike stem may give you another three inches and adding a set of wider bars with a higher rise would help also.

Prewar Schwinns and Colsons could be had with a larger adult sized frame with 20 inch seat tube. Prewar Shelbys have such a steep rake on the seat tube that the seat is a couple inches further back from the head tube compared to other marques.

I have heard colson are for very short people, my seat to the bb is extremely short on my clipper. Id stay away from colsons. if I were you I would try and find a schiwnn motorbike tall frame. or a hawthore 5-bar or a twin bar.

Nick.

Prewar Schwinns and Colsons could be had with a larger adult sized frame with 20 inch seat tube. Prewar Shelbys have such a steep rake on the seat tube that the seat is a couple inches further back from the head tube compared to other marques.

Back