When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Phantom Red or Orange question?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

10~18kustoms

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I am admittedly not very knowledgeable about Schwinn Phantoms. And my question is in regard to the Black Phantom Red color. I have seen many that look Black & Red, and just as many that look Black and Orange. Most of these orange looking ones seem to be in the 52 -53 era. In searching past threads for this answer before asking I did see that colors before '53 were a solid color, and then after 53 the opalescent colors came to be. Was this pre-'53 solid color actually red or orange. Or was it red to start with and then UV fade caused many to look orange? Anyone know for sure?

I'm happy my 53 Black Phantom didn't turn pink instead of orange. The orange is faded red and it all depends on the paint"s chemical and colorant makeup.
I had a kid working for me years ago and he had a repainted 71 C10 in Red. It oxidized and turned a dark pink. When everyone gave him a hard time about his pink truck he spent a whole weekend buffing it out and he managed to make it red again.

Back